Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Final Update for Ashanti

Ashanti's run has ended. She was trying to complete the Unseeing Eye Quest. She was fighting Beholders with her Sling while holding the Shield of Balduran. What I did not know is that SCS grants Beholders the ability to snatch the Shield of Balduran out of a Warrior's hands. Her shield was stolen. Then she was slowed, and later petrified. Game over.

At least I won't make that mistake again...

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 June 2011 - 07:02 PM.

Saint of Sinners

Saint of Sinners
  • Members
  • 202 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Final Update for Ashanti

Ashanti's run has ended. She was trying to complete the Unseeing Eye Quest. She was fighting Beholders with her Sling while holding the Shield of Balduran. What I did not know is that SCS grants Beholders the ability to snatch the Shield of Balduran out of a Warrior's hands. Her shield was stolen. Then she was slowed, and later petrified. Game over.

A.

This quite proves what you told me about being somewhat rusty about SCS. :( Apparently, they did grant the beholder telekinetic powers to pull off the Shield of Balduran from anyone who equips it. This is not unheard of when it comes to beholders, but it's part of the many things that I have a love/hate view with. On one hand, SoB is overpowered but then it's the only item that can actually kick a beholder's arse. I had hoped that there was an option of not having telekinetic removal while pushing the shield to ToB. But, then again, that would have made no much sense as beholders plague SoA more than ToB.

So. Are we gonna see that Alesia run now? :whistle: I am having a blast with my flail/axe/hammer-wielding F/T. My archer's making some progress but it's slowing to a crawl. Apparently, SCSII on maximum level is quite hard until I complete Gesen. It's a bit disconcerting that my archer is relying more on Azuredge and Sling of Everard right now rather than on her bows, which usually get some use for dispelling purposes or hurting non-PfNM protected mages.

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Condolences. This is just a silly trap awaiting the unaware adventurer -- I haven't experienced the beholders ever "telekinesing" away any other items. I just remove the SoB completely nowadays (this became an option in one the more recent SCS2 releases).

Edited by AnonymousHero, 15 June 2011 - 07:31 PM.

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts
I'm sorry for your loss, Alesia. That's quite an unsatisfying way to die.

Thisdan, still level 11 sorcerer with a randomized spell ist.

Anomen demanded that I free Garren's daughter, so I had to. I fought the Gnolls and Werewolves with for holy smites and some orks in regular combat, rested and assaulted the dungeon.

The first hobgoblin group was defeated with some more smites, while the second one died in regular combat. For the kamikazee kobolds, I cast protection from fire and attacked the Rukh. I forgot only +3 weapons can hurt him - so Minsc was the only one able to deal any damage, making this fight harder than it should have been. The Vampiric Mists were extremely annoying, and I had to use daystar's Sunray to get rid of them.

Went back to Garrens and rested before going for the second level. Anomen's family shield and it's protectiom from normal missles helped a lot against the ork archers. Fought my first stone golem, but had an Ironskinned Jaheira to tank it.

With some summoned Monsters, the group defeated troll cook and hobgoblins. Now, there were the undead. I could have gone through them invisibly to simply get the key - but I would have to use my PC to do it, and there would have been a small risk (I propably should buy potions of invisibilty/ring of air control). I decided to go with daystar and the sunray to kill all the undead with a buffed Minsc. Had to use regular means to defeat the shadows, though. I managed to rest successfully in the vampire's room.

I decided to avoid all optional areas now and, after taking the Dragon Helm, directly went to kill Tazok. It was simply a matter of buffing and attacking. Thisdan even managed to stun him with a dart of stunning. I rested, after two failed tries were I head to kill some shadow fiends and a warrior skeleton.

Now, it was time to face Conster. I summoned two forest beings before going downstairs, talked to Firkraag, buffed with - prot from fire for everyone, prot from lightning for 4 of us, chant, bless, prot from evil 3m, remove fear, cc for the pc, deathward for pc and aerie and spirit armor for Jaheira. see here.

Of course, idiotic as I was, I didn't realize that using all my level 3 spells for prot from fire meant I didn't have haste. However, Conster, even though being buffed pretty well, got hurt by Aerie's Holy Smite and was only immune to normal weapons, so he only managed to cast a single Finger of Death on Jaheira wich didn't even kill her, thanks to her good saves (she's wearing Balduran's Helmet). Then, he fell, and the group rejoiced. I'm quite happy it went so well, because this was pretty much the earliest I have ever done the Windspear Hills Dungeon in any playthrough.

Back at Athkatla, I bought the Robe of Vecna (for Aerie - she has way more useful spells than Thisdan right now).

Edited by Enuhal, 15 June 2011 - 08:15 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

AnonymousHero wrote...

Condolences. This is just a silly trap awaiting the unaware adventurer.

Yeah. If you know about it you take precautions. If you don't, it kills you. It's as simple as that.

This is actually only my second SCSII playthrough. The first was with Alastria and she used a Spell Shield-Spell Immunity based approach against Beholders. I've actually never even bought the Shield of Balduran before in vanilla. I was completely blindsided by that...

Oh well. As I said, at least I know now.

Saint of Sinners wrote...
So. Are we gonna see that Alesia run now? :whistle:

Perhaps. I'm somewhat reluctant to let her try it solo- I really don't like getting her killed. I may build a Halfling Bounty Hunter, run her through BG1, and let her go. I won't feel so bad about getting a random halfling killed...

Best of luck to the actives!

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 15 June 2011 - 10:53 PM.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,497 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Yeah. If you know about it you take precautions. If you don't, it kills you. It's as simple as that.

Tough luck Alesia.  I remember the first time it happened to me - ran like hell and was lucky to get away.  The telekinesis only applies to the shield and cloak of mirroring.  There is an option to turn off this effect explained in the readme if you want to do this (although once you know about it it's not such a problemPosted Image).

Windfoot

Windfoot
  • Members
  • 71 posts
Ashanti RIP :(

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...

Final Update for Ashanti

A.

Sorry for your loss Alesia. I hate when unknown stuff happens.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
Speaking of unknown stuff, my kensai drank a cursed potion of invulnerability and died. Crazy.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Shadow_Leech07 wrote...

Speaking of unknown stuff, my kensai drank a cursed potion of invulnerability and died. Crazy.

Posted Image

That's terrible Shadow_Leech. I'm sorry for your loss.

Best,

A.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Windfoot wrote...

Ashanti RIP :(

Tha death of Ashanti the Beastmaster seems to have really struck a nerve. It was sad. She was a fun character and had had a good run.

Had I known about the Shield Theft install option, I would have disabled it: in-combat item theft has always seemed gimicky to me. I just didn't pay much attention to the Shield of Balduran options since it rarely figures into my game plan. Sigh...

I'm not sure what I'm going to do next. I have 3 characters that have recently completed BG1 No Reloads and are ready for BG2: Alastria, Transmuting Sorceress; Alia, Archer: and Alesia, Bounty Hunter. I may play one of those.

I also have three characters that I'm considering running through BG1: Ao, Cleric/Illusionist; Alisa, Jester; and Aliana, Avenger Druid. Finally, I have a slight urge to try a Swashbuckler (never played one).

If anyone has any strong preferences, let me know. I'll take it into consideration.

Best,

A.   

Hjolnai

Hjolnai
  • Members
  • 18 posts
How unfortunate for both of you, Alesia and Shadow_Leech07; you have my sympathy.

I will soon be making another undoubtedly brief attempt at a no-reload. Of course, my previous track record suggests that I won't get far enough to finish a single major quest.

I have decided on an evil Wizard-Slayer -> Mage dual class, using mostly two-handed swords, shortbows, daggers and darts. The defenses a mage brings to bear should provide the opportunity to hit enemy stoneskins enough to stop them casting (where the pure Wizard Slayer is all too easily slain by "wizards").
As for roleplaying, well, a pragmatic warrior might see that the weapons of their enemies are the only path to survival and victory, especially after the superiority of magic over Wizard Slayer powers is shown by Jon Irenicus.

I'll probably be rolling up the character in a few hours.

Hjolnai

Hjolnai
  • Members
  • 18 posts
So, another attempt foiled; the Slums sewers are not the best place for a WS->Mage to rest with fighter levels suppressed and no spells left. First a carrion crawler (which really didn't like poisoned throwing daggers, so it died easily), then a party of Kobolds, whose shaman 's Hold Person was successful. After that, death was not so far away.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts

Hjolnai wrote...

So, another attempt foiled; the Slums sewers are not the best place for a WS->Mage to rest with fighter levels suppressed and no spells left. First a carrion crawler (which really didn't like poisoned throwing daggers, so it died easily), then a party of Kobolds, whose shaman 's Hold Person was successful. After that, death was not so far away.

Sorry for your loss Hjolnai. It's tough with a dual class. I would recommend gathering several scrolls (with the intelligence potions) before dualing so that you can regain your fighter levels quickly.

In any case I'm glad to report that Fiona's reincarnation is going smoothly. I had gone back to Baldur's Gate to move my several games up but got bored and went back to BG2. Here she is as current

Fiona female gnome True Neutral
kensai level 9
Str 18/96 Dex 18 Con 18 Int 8 Wis 17 Char 14

She is a master at sword swords(yes I know Mastery doesn't give the extra half attack) and she has already acquired Ibratha, now she just needs Arbane's sword before she can get down to business against the slavers. Fiona probably also needs much more gold and no being a cheapscape that can certainly lead to death!
-_-

Windfoot

Windfoot
  • Members
  • 71 posts
Sorry to hear of your deaths Shadow and Hjolnai

Hjolnai

Hjolnai
  • Members
  • 18 posts
I have started yet another attempt with a Dwarf Barbarian (Neutral Evil), which has just reached the Copper Coronet. Planned party: Jan, Edwin, um.... possibly Anomen for healing, or maybe just a party of 3 (using Polymorph Self to heal Jan, Vampiric to heal Edwin if he ever needs it, and rage-sleep to heal the main character).

If I fail this attempt, would anyone object to my using cheats to make the starting dungeon Ogre-Mage into a party member? It's not exactly going to be as powerful as many other characters, and hardly a difficult fight to deal with even if it were compulsory...

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Quick Note:

Here's what I've decided to do. I've started a solo game with Alesia from her BG1 Export. This will be a No Reload attempt, however, I question whether she'll make it due to my current lack of familiarity with SCSII and general BGII rustiness. If she dies, I intend to continue her game to lay the ground work for a future solo Trilogy No Reload (I have BG1-SCS down, I need to get BGII-SCSdown as well). If there is interest, I'll start a "Campfire" thread like we had in the old forums and cover the remainder of her solo run there. Her successful Trilogy run will happen sooner or later.

Best,

A.

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
Good luck then Alesia.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

Shadow_Leech07 wrote...

Good luck then Alesia.

Thanks. I'm viewing this more as an exploratory/re-familiarization run. I'm only posting on the off chance that she makes it. It's been over 3 years since I last completed ToB-Ascension and longer still since I soloed it with Alesia. This is also my first SCS-Ascension run. I'm guessing there will be some surprises waiting for me- hopefully not like the the shield theft incident...

Anyhoo. Alesia has completed a couple quests. She's approaching level 12 and well equipped. I'll post on her early adventures once I find a way to host photos (as some of you may have noticed, I've reached my Photobucket bandwith limit).

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 June 2011 - 02:07 PM.

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts
@Alesia_BH; Why a solo run... wouldn't a small group improve her odds?

AnonymousHero

AnonymousHero
  • Members
  • 471 posts

Alesia_BH wrote...
If there is interest, I'll start a "Campfire" thread like we had in the old forums and cover the remainder of her solo run there. Her successful Trilogy run will happen sooner or later.

I'd appreciate it especially if there's a little detail about strategy and effective counters to the SCS mage/priests. I'm currently playing SCS2 "light" aka. without smarter mages/priests, but I'm thinking about moving to a "full" SCS2. Since I basically only play no-reload some hints on what can be expected later on would be very helpful even though I'm not likely to try with a BH :).

Aldain

Aldain
  • Members
  • 39 posts
Short update from Odrelomp, still alive. If you can't be bothered reading heroic accounts of the many lethal battles in Irenicus' Dungeon, well.. you probably should stop reading now.

Having escaped his narrow confines, Odrelomp recruits Minsc and Jaheira, and sets to the task of escaping.
Given the nice genie healing the entire party with Limited Wish, Odrelomp decides to milk the lightning mephits for as much xp as possible. Not the greatest idea, as the poor halfling ends up taking 3 lightning bolts to the face.
Odrelomp can be seen below, wisely observing that old adage "Discretion is the better part of valor". Doubtless Jaheira and Minsc succeeded in battling the vile Mephits solely due to Odrelomp shouting encouragement and sound tactical advice from afar
Posted Image

Following this, Imoen takes out the Ogre mage for us. First and in all probability last time Odrelomp will allow the casting of Lightning Bolt by the party, as the returning bolt unsurprisingly comes within inches of clipping Imoen...
Posted Image

Odrelomp's ace in the hole from BG1, Entangle, proves it's still not to be discounted (though it's certainly pushing the boundaries of it's efficiency, given it took 3 spells to hold Illyich)
Posted Image

The nasty Cambion saves against a double Entangle, but thankfully fails his save vs a Chromatic Orb, and becomes easy pickings
Posted Image

A few rescued nymphs and some wanton looting later, we're moving towards the locked door leading to the Plane of Air.
Some sceletal friends aid in ensuring Minsc does not become a serving of Ogre Pudding, as they hold off the Lesser Golems while we pelt them with missiles
Posted Image

Monster Summoning 1, Animal Summoning 1 and a Web spell is all it takes to do away with the mephits with no damage taken by the party
Posted Image

Odrelomp decides to let Yoshimo tag along (a most fortuitous choice, as Imoen is abducted later on! But I get ahead of myself). The mephit portals pose little trouble: Strength, Haste and MGoI seal the deal

Posted Image

In the last encounter of any note in the dungeon, Odrelomp manages to hold three duergar! Go team halfling!
Posted Image

At last, the exit beckons...

Posted Image

But no rest for the wicked, I suppose. Imoen is abducted, and the party is left tiredly scratching their heads (though Odrelomp gains a level)
Posted Image

Despite being fatigued and generally low on spells, the party proceeds to deal with the Circus problem, picking up Aerie along the way.
Fortunately Odrelomp had a dispel left, and can be seen below just prior to removing these pesky dogs
Posted Image

Kalah isn't much trouble.. and is actually finished off by one of his own illusory werewolves! Apparently the illusions are SO realistic they're actually mammals, at least as far as Charm person or mammal is concerned. Humiliating for Kalah, I guess.
Posted Image

And that, as they say, is that. The party retires to the Den of the Seven Vales to recover spells and ponder what lucky fellow shall be allowed to occupy the final spot. Odrelomp is now a level 9 Cleric of Lathander
Posted Image

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts

ussnorway wrote...

@Alesia_BH; Why a solo run... wouldn't a small group improve her odds?

Certainly.

I'm soloing her now for fun and a challenge. There is a very good chance that I'll have her duo with Imoen once she reaches spellhold.

Getting to Spellhold shouldn't be a problem. She's already completed Trademeet and Umar Hills. She has reached level 13 and is well equipped. The upcoming Slaver and De'Arnise Keep quests shouldn't be problematic.

Here is her current character information.
Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Since the photo issue seems to be resolved, I'll start posting on her adventure relatively soon

Best,

A.

AnonymousHero wrote...
I'd appreciate it especially if there's a little detail about strategy and effective counters to the SCS mage/priests. I'm currently playing SCS2 "light" aka. without smarter mages/priests, but I'm thinking about moving to a "full" SCS2. Since I basically only play no-reload some hints on what can be expected later on would be very helpful even though I'm not likely to try with a BH :).

Understood. I do intend to finish this game even if it doesn't end up being a No-Reload. I might as well cover it.

As for the SCS mages, they weren't a problem at all for Alastria but Alesia is a very different character obviously. I may be underestimating them. Alesia tends to be tough on mages though: she's very patient and has some powerful tools at her disposal.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 June 2011 - 07:58 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
Alesia v. Suna Seni

As long as I'm logged in, I might as well post on one of Alesia's early battles. The Suna Seni fight is a simple encounter, but it is a good one for illustrating Alesia's tactical approach.

As soon as Alesia was waylaid, she gulped a Potion of Invisibility
Posted Image

She then got just out of sight range, and laid down her normal Snares. Next, she buffed, tossed a Special Snare and immediately hit the Shadows.
Posted Image

Time to stealth in and survey the damage. The Special Snare Held the Mage, and removed much of the fodder. Eldarin started wandering and tripped the normal snares. He died. It appeared as though Suna Seni and her Held Mage were the only ones left.
Posted Image

At this point, Alesia really wanted to finish the mage, but couldn't backstab because of Stoneskins. Futher, even though the mage was Held, she didn't want Suna pestering her while she cut through the skins. What to do...The next best thing to a backstab: a Potion of Firebreath- Alesia's preferred method for assasinating low level Stoneskined mages.
Posted Image

Once the mage was dead, all Alesia had to do was step back to finish Suna.
Posted Image

The end. Not quite actually. It turned out that there was a Slaver Thief about. He popped out of the Shadows, and then caught a nasty critical.
Posted Image

Fin!

I'll post on the major quests relatively soon.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 June 2011 - 05:17 PM.

Alesia_BH

Alesia_BH
  • Members
  • 4,578 posts
The Slaver Quest

Alesia just completed the Slaver Quest. Here's how it went.

As on most days, Alesia drank a Potion of Mind Focusing and a Potion of Strength- they're kind of like morning coffee to her. Then she set off on her quest.

She stealthed past the first guards and headed straight for the Beastmaster. Before confronting him, she decided to take out the Winter Wolf. With his ranged attacks, he could be problematic if the mass of animals forced Alesia to withdraw and use ranged hit and run tactics.
Posted Image

Next, she went for the Beastmaster- hoping to take him down before he opened the doors and drank his high value potion. She tossed 2 Special Snares from out of sight range and set 2 regular Snares at her feet. Then, she hit the shadows and got in positionto backstab him. Success.
Posted Image
Posted Image

She got a Potion of Magic Shielding off of him- a wonderful find. She now has 4 (Btw, I have the option which causes 1/2 of the high value Potions to "break" in combat installed).

Tabitha charged to avenge her master. Alesia broke for her snares. When they tripped, she turned and took a quick swipe with her 0 Speed Factor weapon. She emerged unscathed.
Posted Image
Posted Image

After freeing Hendak, Alesia had some fun Backstabbing guards. The Copper Coronet is a wonderful place for a thief to fight- lots of doorways and shadows.
Posted Image

To the slaver compund. Alesia stealthed past most of the sewer foes- no need to risk wasting potions on those blokes. She took minimal potion buffs (her daily use potions, a Potion of Regeneration, and a Potion of Fire Resitance in case she needed to use Oils of Fiery Burning). She entered stealthed, cast Draw on Holy Might, and went straight for the Cleric.
Posted Image

With the cleric out of the action, the fight was essentially over. Since Alesia wears the Boots of Avoidance, Cloak of Displacement, and GIrdle of Piercing, she is very hard to hit with ranged weapons. And since she wields a 0 speed factor blade, she can usually engage, get an attack roll in, and disengage before opponents respond. Even outnumbered, it was just a matter of time.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Next, Haegan. Typical Special Snare-> Backstab Assasination here. Scored another Potion of Magic Shielding bringing the total to 5.

NW: I won't let Alesia set Snares within sight of blue circled opponents, but I will let her toss Special Snares from beyond sight range.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Then the Trolls. Ras and The Efreeti did most of the heavy lifting while Alesia stod back and used her Bow.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Fin!

The De'Arnise Keep is next.

Best,

A.

Edited by Alesia_BH, 16 June 2011 - 08:06 PM.