Photo

Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 108 - (1st and final update)

Mixie, human transmuter (Grond0) & Penance, half-elf transmuter (Gate70)

Another one-session wonder yesterday saw the end of the transmuting twins - though mainly as a result of a bug.

After getting their opening level from Shoal they proceeded to the FAI to pick up the Ring of Wizardry.  Penance was happy to take on Tarnesh using his shield protection and the enemy mage's chances were pretty much ended when he was blinded as well.

Spoiler

Back in Beregost Gate70 teased me by referring to the availability of the spiders (who ended our last run).  Ignoring those for now though we went down to Nashkel and bought a green scroll (being unable to use the mage PfP).  That lasted long enough to kill all the basilisks despite our mediocre martial abilities.  Penance had nearly activated Mutamin early after auto-moving forward when a stack of throwing daggers was exhausted, but retreated just in time.  

Spoiler

With his pet basilisk dead we did show ourselves and Penance was sent running by horror - fortunately Mixie was able to shadow her and lead various gibberlings and gnolls away until Penance recovered.  Mutamin was then magic missiled to death, though we failed to interrupt a couple of acid arrow spells, requiring Penance to use a healing potion to stay alive.  

Spoiler

Kirian's mob then suffered from Mixie having learnt Mutamin's stinking cloud spell and providing a nice smelly environment for Korax to play in.

Spoiler

After collecting Meilum's bracers it was time for Greywolf.  Without distance attacks he was pretty helpless despite us running out of magic missiles.  However, rather than finish him off with missiles Penance chose to attack him in melee.  However crazy that might have seemed it worked - ghoul touch proving fatal for him!

Spoiler

Flushed by success Penance tried the same again in the Cloud Peaks against Krumm - where things followed a slightly different script :blink:.

Krumm_zps5fjjxajq.jpg

After a temple visit and recovering equipment stashed in a nearby cave the duo continued with a few more reputation tasks - doing those included teaching the Doomsayer a lesson.  

Spoiler

The successful revival of Melicamp got reputation to 20 and the use of friends allowed Penance to get a good deal on some scrolls while at High Hedge.

With her newly learned mirror image Penance decided she was ready to meet some ankhegs - though in fact she only met one of them before requiring another temple visit :(.  

Spoiler

Back again, Penance added shield to boost her defences and, using sleep and blind, successfully killed a number of ankhegs on the way to pick up their treasure.  

That allowed a bit of shopping at Ulgoth's Beard, but we didn't have enough for the Greenstone Amulet, so went in search of Bassilus.  His opening rigid thinking put Penance out of control and though Bassilus was blinded almost immediately afterwards he was still attacking, so Mixie resorted to the use of a wand.  Trying a scorcher seemed dangerous as random movements could have put Penance in the path of that, so the wand of frost was used - unfortunately resulting in the destruction of Bassilus' equipment.  

Spoiler

The exception to that though was his holy symbol and the local temple paid handsomely to recover that.

While picking up a magic dagger for Penance from Hentold it seemed only reasonable to magic missile the Revenant.  In the same area some ghasts were guarding a wand of monster summoning and Penance tried to drag them outside for easy disposal - but they didn't want to play that game.  Trying to tank them Penance was held, which was the signal for Mixie to use a first scorcher charge.

Scorcher_zpssn4oiore.jpg

Nearby, a stinking cloud gave Narcillicus no opportunity to create some jellies.  Penance was a bit keen to check out his scroll collection though and fell down in the cloud - just as some skeleton archers appeared on the scene.  Fortunately the 3 of them were just close enough together and just far enough from Penance for a well-placed wand fireball.

Narcillicus_zpsuoxy03zs.jpg

With the Greenstone amulet in hand taking on the sirines seemed safe enough and Penance approached them with shield, mirror image and amulet protection all active.  Things went quickly wrong though when she was charmed anyway (the bug associated with half-elf partial immunity to charm that I noted a while back in one of my runs).  

Spoiler

I thought that the sirines were still targeting Penance, but that was only partly true as one of them switched a follow-up dire charm on to Mixie - who failed to save ...

Mixie%20charmed_zps3zqnuu9r.jpg

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 2 others like this

Ygramul

Ygramul
  • Members
  • 25 posts

Dear Bioware Forum folks,

Greetings from the Beamdog forums "NO-RELOAD" thread. We have heard about the sad news that the Bioware forums are being closed.

I have been reading (mostly lurking) the two no-reload threads here for some years. Found them so inspiring, in fact, to have started the current no-reload thread in the Beamdog forums a while ago:

https://forums.beamd...scussion/40393/

We want to extend you all an invitation if wish to consider continuing your no-reload runs over there. In fact, it is currently being discussed if and how the contents of the Bioware no-reload forums can be archived in the current thread. Your feedback, opinions, and most of all your contributions are very welcome.

Thanks for providing excellent narratives over so many years.

Ygramul

InKal de sicle

InKal de sicle
  • Members
  • 5 posts

yeah

just go to Beamgod forums. I don't wanna loose your awsome write-ups, I'm lurking here since like forever. ;]

• corey_russell likes this

ussnorway

ussnorway
  • Members
  • 2,350 posts

Los1 -ds6,   

Don't call me chicken;

Hear text as mp3,

The party took the side trip to bypass most the castle fighting and I managed to defeat Ashatiel by calling her a chicken… now I’m not claiming she actually laid an egg but there was a definite look of surprise on her beak as the clubs of my peons descended.

los1-042.jpg

The tenses moment (for me) came as we approached the gates of hell… that’s the ninth hell by the way, anyway the red mist descended on my vision and suddenly I knew that my so-call allies had betrayed me!

The next thing I remember is a musky smell fulling my nostrils and my good friend Sarah asking if I knew who she was?... “of course, you still owe me 10 gold from the poker game by the way” … it’s good to have friends.

los1-043.jpglos1-044.jpg

The big boss is all fear and fire so you’d expect ice to be his nemesis which it is but lightning also helps and having the shining lady wail away at his ass instead of ours is a no brainer tactic.

• Grond0 likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {55} - monks party (update 1)

After quite a while just playing the EE I thought I would go back to the future by having yet another go at the monks in this BGT SCS version.  Their objective is still to fully explore and undertake all encounters in BG1, with the exception of Durlag's Tower.  As usual the monks are not allowed healing potions or antidotes and anyone getting killed will be treated as a game ender.

As the EE has nerfed the autopause: enemy in sight function I've been playing without that for a while, so going back to that has caused one or two minor problems.  However, I've been playing cautiously and have done pretty well so far.  The only really worrying moment was during a kobold ambush where Wraith was taken down to 2 HPs by arrows.  
Spoiler
There have been various other potentially dangerous ambushes, such as this basilisk one, but autopause is a great help in managing those safely.
Spoiler

The monks have cleared a number of areas, most recently finishing off the basilisks.  Korax put in a good performance there - paralysing Kirian, Peter and Lindin.
Spoiler

Stats
Chimera - L4, 35 HPs, 28 kills
Spectre - L4, 36 HPs, 33 kills, 0 deaths
Phantom - L4, 26 HPs, 10 kills, 0 deaths
Wraith - L4, 26 HPs, 26 kills, 0 deaths
Spook - L4, 33 HPs, 19 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L4, 26 HPs, 19 kills, 0 deaths

• corey_russell, ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and 1 other like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {55} - monks party (update 2)

The session started with the monks heading to the Nashkel Mine.  They made their way through the hordes of kobolds there without much trouble, though they did have a couple of resting sessions to keep HPs at safe levels.  They hadn't got around to buying any magic items yet, but Mulahey didn't get a chance to call for help anyway.
Spoiler

Back in Nashkel Nimbul put up much more of a fight - badly wounding Spectre with a magic missile minor sequencer before being cornered when he ran into the inn.
Spoiler

Making their way up to Beregost they were ambushed by Molkar at Ulcaster.  They immediately ran away from that and came back into the area in a different location in order to be able to control the fight better.  Still at level 4 they were not really a match for the opposition, but a couple more area transitions allowed them to win the contest despite the intervention of some pesky skeletons.
Spoiler

After Tranzig was stunned by the initial attack on him a first trip up to the FAI saw Tarnesh crushed by a sneak attack (the monks didn't even bother with stunning blows for him).  My rules don't allow the monks to just sneak through the Bandit Camp so it will be a while before they're ready for an assault on that.  Instead they made their way back south where they failed to revive Melicamp, but still soon got up to level 5 with the help of a few ghasts.
Spoiler

After returning Samuel to the FAI they continued south and worked their way through the Cloud Peak Mountains.  That was relatively untroubled, though they did need to run away at one point when Spirit was poisoned by a hobgoblin elite.  
Spoiler
The 17 winter wolves made a nice contribution to finances as well as XP (although with SCS the shopkeeper in Nashkel will only buy one of them at a premium price).  Various bears, ogres etc also contributed experience, but the monks were still a bit short of level 6 when they came back to Nashkel.  However, with reputation now up to 20 the monks headed north again to visit Ulgoth's Beard.  The items purchased there should allow XP to be acquired much more quickly next time :D.

Stats
Chimera - L5, 44 HPs, 137 kills
Spectre - L5, 46 HPs, 239 kills, 0 deaths
Phantom - L5, 32 HPs, 117 kills, 0 deaths
Wraith - L5, 36 HPs, 122 kills, 0 deaths
Spook - L5, 36 HPs, 115 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L5, 29 HPs, 115 kills, 0 deaths

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and Dyara like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {55} - monks party (update 3)

Starting the session the monks did a bit more shopping at High Hedge before hopping to Durlag's Tower.  Their new Wand of the Heavens provided an easy route to get to level 6 with the help of a couple of battle horrors.  
Spoiler
Inside the tower they killed a number of ghasts and ghouls before nipping out on to the roof, making use of the potions of mirroring recently bought - stunning blows successfully allowing the last 2 basilisks to be killed with a single potion.  
Spoiler
Before leaving they also picked up the tome and taught Riggilo that stealing leads to a bad end.

They worked their way through a couple of low value areas, including demonstrating to Shar-Teel why you should always carry a missile weapon.  
Spoiler
A potentially more dangerous challenge awaited with Bassilus, but his opening spell was successfully disrupted by stealth attacks and his free action wasn't enough to keep him alive to try again.  
Spoiler
After trading in his symbol at Beregost temple the area was cleared making a first use of magical ammunition for the vampiric wolves.

They finished off their work in Beregost by reneging on a deal with Silke - she made the mistake of using a defensive spell with her only opportunity.
Spoiler

Moving on to Gullykin a hill giant strength potion helped loot the town - producing a useful +1 sling and a second protection from poison scroll for emergencies.  They also managed to prevent Jenkal from running away.

With areas left starting to run short they returned to Shoal's grave and cleared the rest of that area - the sirines there failing to charm or confuse anyone.  Encouraged by that they went straight on to the Lighthouse and had a go at that.  The first group of sirines did rather better, confusing one and charming two of the monks - resulting in some anxious moments before the confused Spirit eventually broke contact, allowing the other monks to lead the charmed ones away.  
Spoiler
In this installation any sirines appearing while resting are neutral, so there was no problem healing up before taking on Sil.  As usual her group was easy enough, with only Wraith being confused.
Spoiler
In this installation there are no traps in the pirate cave, so shooting the golems was no trouble.

The only uncleared area in the far south was the Valley of the Tombs and the monks got the chance to make use of their shiny magical melee weapons for the first time there.  First up was the Revenant.  After a peaceful rest in his tomb, next was Narcillicus' jellies - they were pulled away individually from the mage and both failed to get a hit against Spectre wearing the Girdle of Bluntness.  The mage himself thought he heard something approaching and tried to cast a detection spell, only to realise too late that what was approaching was his doom.
Spoiler

With level 7 no longer too distant a prospect I decided it was time to go ankheg hunting.  Stealth attacks in the cave meant that only a single ankheg got an attack in - which was a critical miss.  
Spoiler
Outside the potential for respawning and the ankhegs occurring in groups made things more complicated, but no-one was hit.  I did get lucky with the final ankheg after I had drawn one of a group of 2 away for disposal.  Coming back for the last one I found a companion had regenerated and couldn't be bothered to run away and re-setup an attack.  Instead I resorted to stunning blows, which successfully incapacitated both ankhegs.
Spoiler

That area was just enough to give Spectre the XP for level 7, but as I maintain the same positions in the group and don't level up until everyone is eligible it will still be a little while before she takes her level (the rounding differences when dividing XP for large numbers of kills mean Chimera currently has 1,108 less XP than Spectre).

Stats
Chimera - L6, 48 HPs, 200 kills
Spectre - L6, 55 HPs, 341 kills, 0 deaths
Phantom - L6, 41 HPs, 181 kills, 0 deaths
Wraith - L6, 43 HPs, 169 kills, 0 deaths
Spook - L6, 39 HPs, 188 kills, 0 deaths
Spirit - L6, 34 HPs, 161 kills, 0 deaths

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider and Dyara like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Phantasmic 6 {55} - monks party (4th and final update)

Looking for a bit more XP to get everyone to level 7 the monks went to the Lake area.  They've never tried killing Drizzt, but I've got in mind to have a go at that this time, so Spectre bad-mouthed him after everything else was cleared - which produced just sufficient XP for level 7.  Spectre then had to hastily take a potion of invisibility to escape the enraged drow when even monk speed proved insufficient to stay out of scimitar reach, suggesting that killing him may not be straight-forward later on!

On resting, Spectre's wounds were healed overnight - all the monks now have the lay on hands ability, which means no more requirement for lots of resting to heal 1 HP at a time (the party are up to day 267 already as a result of that).

Deciding it was time to take on the bandits the monks went to Larswood and cleared that before persuading Teven to offer a lift to the Bandit Camp.  Unlike Drizzt, Tazok was not quick enough (even with a potion of speed) to catch anyone, nor to evade the fatal englobement when he tried to run away.  Wraith gleefully took the Gauntlets of Weapon Expertise.

After resting until dark the monks all made a first use of the Shield Amulet before opening hostilities.  A running fight included fireballs to see the back (or insides) of Venkt and the remainder of the chasing pack were finished off without problems.  After looting the bodies the monks rested to heal up, then finished off a few stragglers in the camp and looted the tents.

They'd already done all their desired shopping, so the next task was to go to Firewine Bridge and kill Bentan and Poe to reduce reputation (to provide Chimera with horror as his Bhaal ability after the Cloakwood Mine).  While there they also cleared the area.  That included waiting until Kahrk's initial buffs had worn off before sneaking up and trying to stun him - but everyone missed.  After running from a chaos and hiding in shadows they tried again.  This time they got several hits, but Kahrk made his saves.  They hit him a couple of times with wands before he went invisible again.  However, Spectre scouted round until she found him and tempted him to attack once more and this time he was out of tricks.

The Firewine Ruins are not my favourite spot, but I gritted my teeth and dived in there as well.  Spectre used the scroll of PfM from Bentan to protect against the most dangerous traps and made a first use of a potion of regeneration to top up other damage while clearing all the kobolds.  Lendarn used a potion of invisibility to disappear when he couldn't make an impression on Spectre's scroll protection, but he was tempted out of hiding by Wraith - who was already a bit damaged.  Wraith responded by taking a potion of magic blocking (she'd already used lay on hands and the continuing acid arrow damage could have killed her) and a moment later Lendarn was dead.

In the Cloakwood the monks stunned Seniyad to save Aldeth.  

On arrival in the second area a phase spider ambush meant they needed to run to cure poison.  Stealth then allowed them to trip the web traps safely when exploring before they jumped in and out of Centeol's nest a few times to cut the opposition into manageable chunks.

In the third area Takiyah and Izefia met the normal fate for those facing a horde of monk fists.  I considered leaving Amarande for the moment as there's a danger of him duplicating during area transitions, which can be dangerous.  However, I decided to go for it and, though a duplicate did indeed occur, both of them died pretty quickly.

In the fourth area the Hamadryad had free action to protect against a sneak attack, but was killed before she could complete a cast anyway.  A bit of stealth blocking on the stairs of the wyvern cave helped initially there and resulted in a comfortable victory.

At the mine area the external map was explored before activating Drasus.  He hit hard, but died before the mages could arrive in support.  After resting in the previous area the monks returned and managed to kill Genthore with a sneak attack while the mages were buffing.  Another area transition allowed them to catch Kysus unbuffed and a blast from the Wand of Heavens finished him off.  Rezdan then showed himself by spooking Wraith, but picked up a stun in return.

After clearing the first level of the mine most of Hareishan's guards were stranded upstairs while the monks went to sort out the mage.  A poisoned arrow from one of the few remaining guards proved surprisingly persistent though and required Chimera to make use of his Bhaal slow poison.  The group successfully rested initially, but the SCS guards are pretty decent fighters and the monks took more damage in dealing with a few of them.  Trying to rest again they first got ambushing guards arriving on Hareishan's level and then more downstairs.  Everyone was under stealth when trying to sleep and they tried running back upstairs again and past the guards - but unfortunately Spirit's stealth broke immediately on arrival back upstairs.  With everyone else being hidden she was targeted by all the guards and was fatally hit by 8 arrows before she could move more than a few steps.  By that stage of the run I was a bit tired and my attention to details was flagging as usual and I didn't notice immediately that her stealth had failed.  By the time I did notice she had been hit multiple times already and I'm not sure whether giving her a potion of invisibility or some protection items (boots, cloak and girdle would have meant only criticals would hit) would have helped - but I didn't even try anyway :wacko:.
End%2055_zps2k7wqe9s.jpg

• ussnorway and Serg BlackStrider like this

Enuhal

Enuhal
  • Members
  • 363 posts

Hey everyone;

I'm starting another randomized party challenge, but since this forum is going to be closed down soon, I'll be posting not here, but in the Beamdog-forums - some of you already have started posting there, so I think this might be our best choice for a new home.

Enuhal

• corey_russell, Serg BlackStrider and Grimwald the Wise like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

Hey everyone;

I'm starting another randomized party challenge, but since this forum is going to be closed down soon, I'll be posting not here, but in the Beamdog-forums - some of your already have started posting there, so I think this might be our best choice for a new home.

Enuhal

Yep, it seems, this is the only real one. I'm looking forward to follow your new run there.

• corey_russell and Grimwald the Wise like this

Dedalus

Dedalus
  • Members
  • 3 posts

I'm playing a no-reload run too in beamdog's forum. My name is Destiny. Although I do not write as much as you. (I just make ten thousand stamps, add a note, and be done with it).

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 109 - (1st and final update)

Park, human ranger (Grond0) & Eclipse, halfling shadowdancer (Gate70)

My increasingly frantic attempts to get killed finally bore fruit in the battle against Sarevok, just as I had about resigned myself to success :P.

There was one close call in the pirate cave when a trap triggered for a second time (although I think it's not supposed to be permanent) - taking Park down to 2 HPs.
Spoiler

Going through the Cloakwood, Park was chased for quite a long while by a sword spider before Eclipse was able to shoot it down.
Spoiler

In the battle at the Cloakwood Mine, Eclipse was horrified making things difficult.  Park tried to take some heat off him, and successfully killed the mages, but was beaten down to 7 HPs before running.  He then had to do that for a loooong time with Drasus right on his heels while Eclipse used his hiding abilities to finish off Genthore and was free to intervene.
Spoiler

Back in Candlekeep Eclipse's ability to hide at will made dealing with phase spiders easy.  However, Park couldn't resist trying to help with the last one and got poisoned.  The fast-ticking poison defeated one attempt to use slow poison and the spider was only killed just before Park's HPs were about to run out - meaning the game would not allow resting.  Reluctantly Eclipse took a potion at the last moment, even though that felt like cheating :wacko:.
Spoiler

A bit further on and Prat disappeared into improved invisibility before tracking down and targeting Eclipse.  Park's attempt to intervene failed to interrupt a lightning bolt: in vanilla that would probably have been fatal due to repeated bouncing hits, but the EE normally stops that happening and Park survived (unlike Prat).
Spoiler

Moving on to the temple Sarevok was originally pulled out with only the teleporting Semaj for support.  However, Eclipse ran from Sarevok a bit too far up the temple and activated the others just as Park was finishing off Semaj from within the safety of his scroll of PfM.  Angelo quickly announced himself with exploding arrows and Park responded to the damage from those by using a potion of invisibility and a couple of fire resistance potions, as well as taking a potion of regeneration.  With that preparation the duo attacked Angelo and quickly killed him.
Spoiler
I made the mistake though of not pausing the game while scribbling a quick note of Angelo's demise - that left the door open for Tazok to attack.  Gate70 saw him appear and tried to pause the game as Tazok hit Park.  Trying again and again the game stubbornly continued as Tazok hit Park again, taking him dangerously low on HPs.  I finally became aware of the problem and tried to hit pause myself, just as Gate70 was finally successful in pausing - but a moment too late.
Spoiler

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hearty - elven wild mage (update 1)

After seeing Gate70 playing recently in MP with a wild mage I was struck with a desire to have another go with one of those.  I previously succeeded in the trilogy with Hale using a basic BGT setup, but Hearty has a sterner challenge as he's faced with an SCS / Ascension installation (which I've never completed with any character).

Thus far Hearty has only cast a single spell - summoning a fairy dragon.  With the familiar casting invisibility Hearty's been able to travel safely and picked up a couple of early levels by shooting down Shoal.  

After a few tasks around Beregost Hearty went down to Nashkel and supplemented his sling for the first time with a couple of frost wand blasts to soften up Greywolf.  Meilum and Karlat suffered similar fates, though both took quite a while of running round and shooting.  To help improve his skills Hearty used a green scroll of PfP to shoot up some basilisks - though he again used a couple of wand charges on tempting targets.  
Spoiler
In this installation Mutamin tries to get into talking range, making him an easy victim of run and shoot tactics.  Hearty played safe by leaving Kirian's party for now, but still got to level 6 in that area.

Hearty replenished his magic armoury by looting the ankhegs - the fairy dragon starting to cast invisibility 10' well before Hearty grabbed the loot to ensure the ankheg nearby would have no chance to attack.
Spoiler

Melicamp died, but there was plenty of other reputation on offer to maximise that before doing some shopping.  With a new frost wand from Ulgoth's Beard Hearty made quick work getting to level 7, courtesy of some battle horrors at Durlag's Tower.  
Spoiler
On the roof potions of mirroring and more wand blasts sorted out another collection of basilisks to get to level 8.
Spoiler

Encounters in the Cloud Peak mountains went pretty smoothly, but also used up most of Hearty's wand charges.  He did get hit once, for a critical by a xvart - which lost morale in the cave with the tome and ran outside only to immediately come back inside and attack him from behind.  However, with 44 HPs at the time even the 14 damage was not too serious.

A bit more shopping, including picking up the Greenstone Amulet, was followed by a visit to the Valley of the Tombs to get a potion of invisibility and wand of monster summoning - a charge from the latter was used to club down Narcillicus.  

At the Lighthouse Hearty used the Amulet of Shielding and Greenstone Amulet to hunt down some sirines.  The first group used up his fire wand and the second group his frost wand and a potion of speed.  After resting the golems were shot up.

Another use of summoned monsters saw Bassilus off, providing just enough funds to buy the ring of invisibility. 
Spoiler

Hearty is now on the threshold of level 9 and will crack on with the main quest line next.
Record%20L8_zpsrt1fpfcm.jpg

• ussnorway, Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and 1 other like this

Serg BlackStrider

Serg BlackStrider
  • Members
  • 1,558 posts

I made the mistake though of not pausing the game while scribbling a quick note of Angelo's demise - that left the door open for Tazok to attack.  Gate70 saw him appear and tried to pause the game as Tazok hit Park.  Trying again and again the game stubbornly continued as Tazok hit Park again, taking him dangerously low on HPs.  I finally became aware of the problem and tried to hit pause myself, just as Gate70 was finally successful in pausing - but a moment too late.

Auto-pause>Character Injured (reduced to less than 30% hit points) might be useful in that case... Personally, I have all auto-pause options on. Sure, it somewhat reduces the thrill of combat but a lot safer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to follow Hearty's run. Safe travels!

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hearty - elven wild mage (2nd and final update)

Moving on quickly now:
- Hearty used invisibility to sneak through the Nashkel Mine before summoning some hobgoblins to give Mulahey no chance.  
- Nimbul was paralysed by wand to give Hearty his ninth and final BG1 level.
- Tranzig failed to cope with some gnolls.

There was a setback at the Bandit Camp when I forgot that in this installation there would be a number of Black Talons in the tent and that Raemon had changed position.  Deciding to put the familiar into my backpack that meant Raemon opened a conversation to turn everyone hostile, but no-one managed to attack before the invisibility ring was used.  After a rest Hearty used the shield amulet and a potion of absorption and grabbed the contents of the chest before going invisible again and leaving.

After sneaking through the Cloakwood Hearty used one lot of summons and a paralysation charge to kill Rezdan and Genthore.  After resting the same again worked on the remaining two.  After sneaking down to Davaeorn an initial assault on him didn't do much damage through his buffs, so Hearty went invisible and waited for his guards to arrive.  They were mostly fireballed, but the odd arrow and MMM along with a bit of self-inflicted damage (when I forgot the scroll of PfM wouldn't protect Hearty from his own fireball) saw him badly wounded before Davaeorn was left all alone.  He had seemed to be out of distance spells, but with Hearty down to about 20 HPs a staff battle could still have been dangerous so I decided to send the familiar in to see what Davaeorn had left.  I wasn't surprised when he started casting a sunfire and I expected the familiar to be able to run out of the range of that before it triggered.  However, either I was a tiny bit slow in starting or the familiar's movement hesitated slightly, with the result that it was caught in the fringes of the blast - the loss of HPs from that instantly killing Hearty as well.
Spoiler

• ussnorway and Serg BlackStrider like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Auto-pause>Character Injured (reduced to less than 30% hit points) might be useful in that case... Personally, I have all auto-pause options on. Sure, it somewhat reduces the thrill of combat but a lot safer.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to follow Hearty's run. Safe travels!

Not entirely safe as you can see :P.  

As for the MP run I agree that could be safer, but we don't actually use any of the auto-pause functions in order to avoid slowing down the game - better sorry than safe as we say :blink:.

• Serg BlackStrider, Grimwald the Wise and Dyara like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Gate70/Grond0 multiplayer attempt 110 - (1st and final update)

Sael, human stalker (Grond0) & Kally, human conjurer (Gate70)

A bit of impatience / lack of concentration resulted in another pairing going for an early bath.

They started off well enough by shooting down Shoal - made even easier than usual by her inability to get out of a grease field.

Spoiler

After a bit of work in Beregost and Nashkel Kally bought a few spells in High Hedge.  She made good use of protection from petrification at the basilisk area to get a couple more levels each.  The extra HPs allowed Sael to soak up a couple of Melf's acid arrows from Mutamin while cutting him down.

Moving on to Kirian Kally may have been intending to try out a few blindness spells, but got a bit too close and was spotted by Kirian.  Quickly retreating, she was followed by Lindin and Baerin.  Lindin would have been no problem, but Baerin's ability with a bow would make him difficult to blind and Sael tried to intercept him.  Unfortunately Sael didn't have much luck with his attacks, but couldn't easily retreat as Baerin would have been able to finish him off with arrows - resulting in him being finished off by spear instead ...

• Grimwald the Wise likes this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Hard luck Grond0 :(

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts

That area gets you guys (Gate70 and Grond0) a lot - guess you guys should be more wary there...

• Grond0 and Grimwald the Wise like this

Grimwald the Wise

Grimwald the Wise
  • Members
  • 2,182 posts

Diary of Æthel

There were four of us that were brought up together in Candlekeep, Æthel, Wilfred, William and Imoen. Three of us were strongly influenced by a visiting cleric of Helm and thus we became followers of Helm. Imoen being of chaotic nature felt a little left out, but we remained friends as she is a good-hearted soul. I and Wilfred became paladins, but William didn’t have the charisma and so became a cleric. I am a Moonblade wielder and have proficiency in long swords and sword and shield, Wilfred specialises in two handed swords and two handed weapons, whilst William specialises in spiked weapons and sword and shield style.

We were attacked by assassins in Candlekeep, but because they were not working together, we defeated them easily despite their good equipment. One of them had had the gall to steal my Moonblade which I was so glad to recover.

These attacks precipitated our leaving of Candlekeep which saddened me somewhat as I had just begun to enjoy the earthier pleasures of life with a guard and also Hull.

To the east we were attacked by more assassins who killed Gorion. We headed for the FAI and on the way found some useful rings. Outside the FAI we were attacked by another assassin, a mage this time who didn’t manage to cast a single spell before his demise.

Inside I continued my carnal education with another adventurer and I was also asked to deal with a spider infestation in Beregost.

Outside I cleared the area of hobgoblins and in transit killed a lot of bandits. Cedric was badly hurt, and our potions came in useful.

To the north we helped a widow and a priestess called Tenya  and we killed an ankheg as well before heading to Beregost to deal with those spiders.

• Grond0 likes this