Photo

Baldur's Gate 2 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
15228 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
No didn't buff her. But simply casting a summon instead of insects would have been enough to win. But you are right insect plague would have been more effective. Buffing with ironskin could have been handy..

Shadow_Leech07

Shadow_Leech07
  • Members
  • 553 posts
I would like to re-enter this challenge, as I previously abandoned my multiple bounty hunter attempts. I will be using my own created NPCs, they are all half-elves and they have randomized statistics and randomized classes. I had first attempted generating a party of humans but for some reason my twenty sided dice rolled up two sorcerors and well I'm not in the mood for sorcerors. The half-elves gave me much more diversity and that is what I hoped for. My mods are few so I'll list them:

// Log of Currently Installed WeiDU Mods
// The top of the file is the 'oldest' mod
// ~TP2_File~ #language_number #component_number // [Subcomponent Name -> ] Component Name [ : Version]
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #0 // Ascension v1.41 (requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #2 // Original Tougher Demogorgon (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #3 // Tougher Gromnir (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #4 // Tougher Illasera (optional, requires ToB)
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #6 // Improved Guarded Compound in the Temple District
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #15 // Kensai Ryu's Improved Crypt King
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #30 // SimDing0's Improved Oasis
~SETUP-TACTICS.TP2~ #0 #32 // Mike Barnes' Improved North Forest
// Recently Uninstalled: ~SETUP-ASCENSION.TP2~ #0 #1 // Tougher Abazigal (optional, requires ToB)

I will be playing on Core rules. And here are my characters and their statistics
Name: Aloren (Male)
class: Totemic Druid
Race: Half Elf(they are all half elves)
Alignment- True Neutral
Str 14 Dex 11 Con 13 Int 17 Wis 12 Char 16
Comments: I've never played a totemic druid, I wonder if they are any good.

Name: Jessica the Fragile (female)
class- Thief
Alignment- Chaotic Good
Str 12 Dex 15 Con 6 Int 15 Wis 15 Char 15
Comments: A constitution of 6?!?

Name: Eric the Wise(male)
class: Conjurer
Alignment: Chaotic Good
Str 13 Dex 15 Con 16 Intl 12 Wis 10 Char 9
Comments: He gets called 'Eric the Wise' it doesn't mean he's the master of wisdom.

Name: Cassandra (female)
class: Fighter/mage/thief
Alignment: Neutral Good
Str 11 Dex 13 Con 9 Intl 12 Wis 16 Char 15

Comments: A decent class I suppose. Never played this either.

Name: Stella (female)
class: Totemic Druid
Alignment: True Neutral
Str 13 Dex 12 Con 12 Int 12 Wis 12 Char 15
Comments: Redundent yes...we can always use more of these totemic druids.

Overall Comment: Hopefully I'll last long enough to make a new album for this particular gang.. Maybe it will be exciting as well, we'll see. I don't have any furthur rules but I probably will not take in any regular NPC permanently, just saddle them up for their respective quest.

Edited by Shadow_Leech07, 24 July 2010 - 10:09 AM.

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
All the best Shadow. Could be interesting.

I prefer the game NPCs myself, but to each his own.

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
All the best Shadow. Could be interesting.

I prefer the game NPCs myself, but to each his own.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
I like using multi-player NPCs because then you can get classes/duals that you can't get from the 16 NPCs that Bioware included. For example in my game, Dogdancing is a level 7 fighter dualed to a mage. Which NPC in vanilla BG 2 is like that? Answer: there isn't one.

And good luck in your run, shadow_leech.

Edited by corey_russell, 24 July 2010 - 02:59 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the cleric/thief update 4: doing NPC quests, dock quests/battles

So Bipps party is working for Maevar currently. We also tried to find Montaron for Xzar but all we found was an assassin. Got some upgrades in the process, Prebek's place in particular had a lot of spells our mages were missing so was all good.

Jaheira then got summoned to the Harper Hold. She came back and said we had to come with her there. Bipp suspected treachery, and was going to take no chances see buff preparation here:
Posted Image

Most of the party targeted Galvarey though we did send Jaheira after a mage. Dogdancing cast horror. Aerie dispelled invisibility this didn't affect Bipp however with his cloak of non-detection. Bipp backstabbed Galvarey for his best backstab of the game. Much better than the 11 pt. backstab earlier in the game so am happy. Seemed only fitting that Bipp got the kill shot since Galvarey wanted to imprison Bipp.
Posted Image

Once Galvarey went down, the remaining Harpers didn't stand a chance and were defeated. I noticed I didn't take very much damage at all, so all that pre-battle buffing must have helped:
Posted Image

We then rested in the Seas Bounty and then Jaheira got cursed by Baron Ployer. We headed to a derelict house, and before we entered could hear Ployer's voice, so buffed what we had (which wasn't much). However my failed run with Dennen the fighter taught me a good lesson -- if going to fight mages and don't know their scripts, cast death ward on the PC! We enter the door and have a lengthy fight with the Baron and his 3 mage friends. The party was successful and encountered our first death requiring resurrection, Minsc falls (thought is not chunked). Couple of party members were confused and taking potshots at the rest of the party but we could not dispel it, so waited it out.
Posted Image

After we rested a messenger told Mazzy her sister was sick. We headed to Trademeet and long story short found out a cleric had poisoned Pala named Barl. With the decent weapons/armor that the party has, the cleric had no chance at all even with his summons. We used the potion on Barl and waited a day and now Pala is better and Mazzy has returned to the party. Below is the approach have been using:

Mazzy: Armor=Full Plate, ring +1, tower shield Weapon=short sword of Avoreen (+2)
Minsc: Armor=Full Plate, ring +2, earth control ring Weapons: Stonefire and Belm
Jaheira: Armor=Full Plate, cloak +1 Weapon: Unicorn Spear (+2)
Dogdancing: Armor=AC 3 Bracers Weapon: Asheron's Bow (+3)
Bipp: Armor: AC 3 studded leather, Shield of Harmony Weapon: sling of seeking (the one that gets dmg bonus due to strength)
Aerie: Armor AC 6 bracers, Cloack +1, Reflection Shield Weapon: Dragon's Bane Sling (+3)

Have had a few vampire ambush encounters, but they are lot easier to deal with when one has the Daystar.

And the adventure continues...

Edited by corey_russell, 24 July 2010 - 08:43 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the cleric/thief update 5: Windspear Hills, Maevar Quest

So Bipp decided he wanted to get rid of these acorns we have been carrying around (and corey_russell wanted to get the fire resistance ring from the Rashkaksha in the area) and headed to Windspear Hills.

We got framed by Firkraag, but Warren 'Windspear cleared our name, though his kid got kidnapped in the process. We cleared the general areas of enemies including the werewolves. But we killed them from a distance (entangle/web/cloudkill etc.) so they never talked to us, though the dialog started for a second. This later proved to be a mistake as this introduced a bug where i could NEVER save because the game kept thinking I was in dialog. It kept thinking this even when I left the area. In addition, my PC kept stopping as if to talk to someone though there was no one to talk to. As if all this wasn't enough, I couldn't loot as the moment the loot window come up it would disappear as if a dialog were to come up (which never did). This is bad enough that would have ended my run, however, I had a save just before this area so did it again LETTING the werewolves talk to me then I didn't get this horrible bug.

While getting the fire resistance ring Bipp got his best backstab so far. Too bad it was on an irrelevant enemy like a goblin elite:
Posted Image

We got the ring, SAVED, and went to the temple district to get that silly necklace from the Talos Priestess. Even though I thought it was day, it apparently wasn't as Bipp just strolled in, picked the lock, took the necklace and scooted. We thought we heard noise in the sewers so we went down there.

We saw a group that looked like bandits. So the party cast: 3x entange, web, 2x cloudkill, silence. While all this was going on, Dogdancing was plinking away with her Tasheron's bow. Party wasn't hurt at all and you can see it was working well. In addition we did get a dialog confirming they were bandits, they wanted 1000 gold:
Posted Image

We cleared the rest of this part of the sewer. Found some pathetic kobolds and a rakshaksha. They were killed fast. Found a cloak that made Minsc a better tank so we were happy about it.

Returned to Maevar with his trinket. He sent us to Edwin and Edwin said Rayic Gethras must be taken out. We went to his house and he had mephits and stone golems. Very easy to deal with these. Now for the hard part. Just recently my fighter run ended here, Rayic did some sort of death spell (finger of death am assuming) and killed Dennen. So thought would try something different.

Bipp hid in the shadows and went to the far upper corner to stay out of any area effects. Jaheira went up with him and managed to cast a fire elemental and two bears before Rayic got mad. When he did, Jaheira went downstairs, and then Bipp watched the summons battle Rayic in safety. I thought his shadows might have dropped (was hard to tell) so brought up the party at this point. They attacked and Rayic went down immediately.
Posted Image

Bipp pickpocketed Marcus and let Embarl go. We talked to Edwin, told him to scoot, and got the evidence that Renal needed. We reported to him, and he said we had to take out Maevar and his loyal members. This went pretty well, only Minsc and Dogdancing needed to gulp a single heal potion and that was it on the upper levels.

For Maevar himself we cast a stinking cloud. This pulled some of them, so we were able to kill them in safety. When we reported to Renal Bloodscalp this venture turned out more profitable than we expected: 1) Bipp was given a guildhouse 2) we got 10,000 gold and for the 3rd see this picture:
Posted Image

So we went to the guildhouse. This is actually the first time I am running a guildhouse (kraq my fighter/thief had it one time, but as soon as he got it he left for spellhold and his brains were eated by illithids so he never got a chance to learn about his guildhouse). They say I need to meet Ama at night in Waukeens Promenade. But before I left I got a message from Maevar's prisoner that I freed letting me know to be on my guard -- so this guys DOES have a purpose! Was always wondering why that put that guy there since you don't get  rep increase for freeing him, but if you use an area effect against Maevar you can LOSE rep if you kill him.

So we go to Waukeen's Promenade and get ambushed by Ama and her buddies. We cast a lot of hold persons, but the tanks were tearing through them so ended up being pretty easy:
Posted Image

So was thinking ok that was simple enough, but then immediately this happened:
Posted Image

Dermin lectured Jaheira and left, was thinking ok maybe I can see what Ama and her goons had, but no then immediately THIS happens:
Posted Image

Fortunately was only a speed bump. Had Mazzy back away so she woulnd't get interrupted with what she was going to do next, Aerie cast a Holy Smite, then from the Daystar Mazzy used the its Sunray ability -- bye bye vampires. Dogdancing even leveled so that was nice.

Bhaalspawn character sheets:
Posted Image

Posted Image

Edited by corey_russell, 25 July 2010 - 02:41 AM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the cleric/thief update 6: Guarded Compound, Unseeing Eye Quest

So the party decides to take care of the business in the Temple area. First we enter a building and ask for a lesson. Bipp stealthed and triggered the monster trap and backed off. Then Dogdancing crept up and fired a web and a cloudkill and backed off. This killed most enemies except of course the Glaberuzu since it is immune. The glaberuzu eventually comes after the party and puts a huge beat down on Jaheira. She runs around the party white being chased, while everyone else unloads on the glaberuzu. Took a surprisingly long time but eventually the party killed it and got some nice experience.

Next for the guarded compound gang on the 2nd floor. Buffed with everything I could that made sense, including death ward on Bipp. See buffs below:
Posted Image

We go upstairs and start attacking. Dogdancing casts emotion, Aerie Oracle, and Bipp silence. The 3 melees attack. We did have to gulp some heal potions and Jaheira had to get a rod-of-resurrection heal, but we did it with no deaths.
Posted Image

However after the battle Bipp and Aerie moved to heal Minsc. Bipp missed the still active trap I forgot about, Aerie however did not miss it and died:
Posted Image

Fortunately she wasn't chunked (boy would I be embarrassed to get a chunked NPC when I could have easily disarmed the trap) despite taking huge damage. Bipp always has a resurrection spell memorized and brought her up to speed.

We also did the Unseeing Eye quest the long way, by forming the rod and killing the Unseeing Eye. Most of the battles were pretty easy. The Yuan-ti mage that is along the way to the forgotten temple, I fought completely with summons, didn't want to take chances that mage has some nice spells (for him).

The beholder lair was easy as Mazzy had the Shield of Balduran. For the blind priests in the center, Bipp scouted then Dogdancing fired web/cloudkill 2x/stinking cloud and just waited it out. It killed all of them without them even seeing us.

The undead area was quite a different matter. The undead that guard the gauntlets of dexterity gave us huge problems. Even after activating the daystar which killed 1/2 the undead, our party gulped a ton of heal potions, had to use the resurrection rod a lot too. But eventually we prevailed. Minsc has -7 AC now dual-wielding using those gauntlets.

The battle with the Unseeing Eye was simple as Mazzy kept resisting the Unseeing Eye's tricks.

The battle with Gaal afterwords went pretty smooth, except Aerie got killed again, though not chunked. Bipp brought her up to speed again. We reported our success to the temple and sold our junk. We now have enough for the sword of mask for Mazzy. She can hit anything now.

Bhaal Sergio

Bhaal Sergio
  • Members
  • 22 posts
I wonder why I can't make korgan a kensai\\thief by editing his stats (minoring his charisma\\wisdom) but I can create new npc by Multiplayer.
Why should I be making npc that don't talk while I can just edit korgan.
:(

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Did you make sure his alignment is correct? Thieves can't have any lawful alignment, for example.

Irrbloss

Irrbloss
  • Members
  • 256 posts
I think he objects to silly rules, rather than having a problem with making it happen.

Thrar

Thrar
  • Members
  • 78 posts
If you want a Kensai to dual to thief, you need him to be human first. Also, you'll need 15 STR and 17 DEX for it to be legal.

Not that this discussion has anything to do with this thread...

Guilebrush

Guilebrush
  • Members
  • 185 posts
Again his issue wasn't knowledge of the requirements or how to actually create a K>T or even a normally illegal K/T. He's asking why the challenge rules disallowed modifying an existing NPC to said class combination when it's perfectly legal under the same challenge rules to bring along a player created character of the said class combo (well maybe not the K/T.)

This refers specifically to:
3. NPCs. You don’t have to use the Bioware game NPCs. Feel free to either make your own (through multiplayer) or modify existing NPCs through Shadow Keeper, as long as it is within the realm of what the NPC would be. In other words, no making Mazzy a monk. Something along the lines of changing Minsc to another ranger kit or a berserker is acceptable. Please keep in mind as above, no illegal class combinations or alterations. Use your best judgement.

To be honest I was going to ask a similar question after I finished my current (regular) playthrough and made an entry to the challenge thread. I'm planning on using a small party (2-4 members max) and am thinking of using level 1 NPC to modify Viconia into a normally illegal to Elves C/T. I was wondering if my 2 concessions were within the spirit of the challenge rules.

Irrbloss

Irrbloss
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Guilebrush wrote...

To be honest I was going to ask a similar question after I finished my current (regular) playthrough and made an entry to the challenge thread. I'm planning on using a small party (2-4 members max) and am thinking of using level 1 NPC to modify Viconia into a normally illegal to Elves C/T. I was wondering if my 2 concessions were within the spirit of the challenge rules.

Since there are no restrictions on what mods you can use (nor should there be), I don't think there's any reason to restrict what you can do to/with the NPCs.
Personally I think point 2 and 3 of the rules should be rewritten along the lines of "Be informative of what you do and what changes you make. Thereby your run can be judged on its own merits." (If only to avoid new-comers taking rule 2 and 3 seriously. No one else does.)
If someone "cheats", his run can be thought less of by anyone so inclined. It's not like anyone goes around claiming their winning "the no-reload challenge" is some sort of feat, so who cares how they play their game and if they had an easier time of it than someone else?

Edited by Irrbloss, 25 July 2010 - 01:44 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
I have thought a lot about what you guys are saying. Since mods are allowed, and since you can make multi-player NPCs why not change the Bioware NPCs? And Irrbloss point of who really cares if one person had an easier time than another? It's not like a successful run gets 1000 dollars or anything. I will change it.

Argent77

Argent77
  • Members
  • 24 posts
I’m back with an update on Argent’s adventures...

Session 39

We have finished all open quests and are ready to face Bodhi a last time. So we cloak out and enter the graveyards.

It is already night when we arrive and Bodhi is waiting for us. She is threatening us again and steals Nalia from under Argent’s nose. :o Click Here

Fortunately we are still cloaked, so Anomen takes care of the remaining vampires with his Turn Undead ability and we start to look for our abducted Nalia (and Bodhi of course).

We soon find an entrance to her lair which isn’t barred from the inside and start to hack and slash and Turn Undead our way to her hiding place.

Valen, Del, Hareishan, Meredath and Salia, and even Tanova (who had caused some serious trouble at our last visit) are powerless against Anomen’s righteous fury (or something like that). :devil:

The pool in the room of spikes reveals the Armor of the Hart which we grab before we enter the lower floor.

It’s time to confront Bodhi at last. We add some holy water into their bloodfilled pools and encounter Bodhi and her undead army.

After a short speech which agitated her much once we mention the elves, she attempts to threaten us a last time.

It doesn’t work though. Anomen takes care of all undead (including Nalia) while Argent starts a duel to the death with Bodhi. It doesn’t take long and Bodhi is deafeated. After staking her heart we find the Rhynn Lanthorn and take her heart with us to revive Nalia. We even find a nice helmet within her coffin.

Conviniently there are a couple of books within one of Bodhis chambers which describe a way how to cleanse and resurrect a vampire. So we travel to the temple of Amaunator at the fringes of Imnesvale.

On our way we are ambushed by a group of nobles who turn out to be some kind of shapechangers. The battle is quickly over and we arrive at the temple.

Argent places Nalia’s body and Bodhi’s heart into the statue which turns Nalia into a living and breathing human again. She is happy and grateful and after a short rest we can move on to the elven camp. (I have to say that the conversation after Nalia’s resurrection was a bit disappointing. My choices were limited to an overly cheesy, a boring and an offending line.)

Before we visit Captain Elhan again, we make a short detour to our stronghold. The Major Domo is already waiting for us and we have to deal with some crooks. I make short shrift of them and move on to Cromwell’s smithy where we upgrade a couple of items again. Click Here and Click Here

Now that we are out of cash, we finally move on to the elven camp and return the Rhynn Lanthorn to Captain Elhan. I had hoped for more information about the situation, but Elhan is as tight-lipped as always. Well, at least he allows us entry to their city. Click Here

Our first task after arriving is to defeat the creatures which litter the streets. So after defeating a couple of golems here and there, a couple of skellies and a lonely rakshasa (??) at the front of a temple we encounter a powerful drow magician.

After taking care of his pet demon Anomen summons a deva and approaches the drow. He is out for a fight, so we give him exactly that. On his body we find this loot.

Once inside of the Demin’s home we defeat a couple of rakshasas and ask for an explanation of the whole situation. She complies and tells us everything, including how to reach Irenicus.

So we have to find three artifacts before we are able to summon the guardian of this city. We start with the black dragon which guards the first artifact.

We buff up and Anomen summons a couple of elementals and a deva. Let’s see if we can defeat the wyrm without taking part in the fight personally. We order our summons to attack the dragon and Nalia casts a few spells to remove its combat and spell protections. Click Here

The battle takes some time, but in the end we are victorious without losing anyone except the deva. In his possessions we find the first of our wanted artifacts and those items. :D

The second artifact is even easier to retrieve. We witness a duel between a mighty demon and an elf. In the end both of them fall and we are rewarded with another artifact. The third artifact is guarded by a strange mechanism. But after pushing some buttons randomly, Argent is lucky and we are now in possession of the complete set of artifacts.

As we approach the temple we encounter the missing group of rakshasas from our last visit. They are history soon, but Anomen takes more damage than expected from their chain lightnings.

Inside the temple we are already awaited by one of Irenicus’ goons and his pet monsters. While Argent concentrates his fighting powers on the demon and the golem, Anomen tries to take care of the mage Suneer. The remaining creatures are beaten soon after and we can now summon Rillifane’s avatar.

The city is secured, so we can finally enter the palace and defeat Irenicus once and for all, hopefully.

To be continued...

Party Stats:
Argent: Spellsword 24
Jan: Illusionist 15 / Thief 19
Anomen: Fighter 7 / Cleric 27
Nalia: Sorceress 20
Haer’Dalis: Blade 26

Irrbloss

Irrbloss
  • Members
  • 256 posts

Argent77 wrote...

The city is secured, so we can finally enter the palace and defeat Irenicus once and for all, hopefully.

Go get 'im!

Will you continue in ToB? (Or pull a Lantier? Posted Image )

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the cleric/thief update 7: Planar Sphere

So Bipp decides we would explore the Planar Sphere. Minsc will take a break in the Copper Coronet and Valygar will be with us for this adventure.

When exploring the sphere it went to a different plane. So now we got to find a way back. We opend a door and find a group of halflings which were easily defeated. Then encountered another group and it went well at first, but somehow the high level halfling mage in the 3rd group got involved then all hell broke loose.

Posted Image

Mazzy gets Mazed (is this a pun?), Jaheira feared, Valygar stunned and Dogdancing and Aerie were confused so Bipp was on his own against the halflings. Bipp tried silence and hold persons which didn't work and also set some glyph wards and eventually some lowly skeletons, and an unsuccessful dispel magic and finally he had nothing to do but sling.

We did win once the disabled people got a hold of themselves, but not before got some deaths:

Posted Image

We got people resurrected and healed, but had to rest to replenish our spells. Valygar found another group of halflings and this time we sent just our summons. The summons couldn't quite finish the last halfling mage, however with his spells expended the party could then finish him.

Against Lavok sent Valygar and a fire elemental and 2 skeletons after Lavok. They could't do the job so Valygar retreated and Lavok advanced to the party. The party charged him and thanks to his most dangerous spells already being used he surrendered quickly. We had to get a demon heart to get back, so we had to venture into the demon plane we were in.

The demon plane was mostly easy for the party, except Mazzy was getting clobbered when fighting a demon and so had to rod of resurrection heal her couple of times to keep her in the land of the living.

We headed to the engine room and encountered Tolgerias and his mage buddy. This battle lasted a long time, Valygar got killed again (just wasn't his day), Jaheira almost died but managed to live. But we did win the battle. For the ice room used cloudkill and fireballs and then finished them off one at a time. For the fire room got Valygar fire resistance to over 100 and sent him with 2 fire elementals and they defeated the enemies in that room.

Next was the golem engine room. What a disaster this was. We killed the Iron Golem with Tasheron's Bow, but when Valygar moved up 3 golems came, 2 of which were clay golems. With the tight quarters the party couldn't get access to hit the golems and took 3 deaths. We managed to raise everyone but now only have 1 charge left on the rod of resurrection. Will definitely sell and buy back that to recharge.

Posted Image

Am sure part of the reason the party took a beating is that because I am doing this quest without access to skeletal warriors which would have made it tons easier. In any case we bring Lavok to the outside and he dies. His ring goes to Aerie and no one levels (unusual for me for this quest). After selling our junk we kicked Valygar and brought back Minsc to the group.

Hopefully things go better on our next quest...

Edited by corey_russell, 25 July 2010 - 08:48 PM.

Argent77

Argent77
  • Members
  • 24 posts

Irrbloss wrote...

Will you continue in ToB? (Or pull a Lantier? Posted Image )

Argent will probably take it easy for a while in Suldanessellar, but his goal is taking over the Throne of Bhaal (or meeting a gruesome death trying to get there).

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
Radiant picked up valgyar when keldhorn was unavailable.

Did the Planar sphere quest during which Saerileth was killed twice!!

If I were powergaming, I would drop her after rescuing her from the demon! Not very powerful!

Rescued a bard from his captor in the sewers and then from the planar prism.

Finished Sir Sarles quest, opting to use the ilithium to finish the quest.

Bought a sling +5 in the copper coronet, not sure which mod that's from.

Went to the Radiant Heart and thence onward to try and rescue Imoen.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Bipp the cleric/thief update 8: Bridge and Graveyard Districts battles/quests

So Bipp and party explore the Graveyard District with both the levels and equipment of the party, it went very, very easily. In fact the only battle that even "almost" hurt anyone was the Crypt King. However thanks to my fighter run recently (Dennen) I knew not to take him for granted. So when we entered, Mazzy activated her haste and Minsc improved haste from the Arbane's sword -- the party then meleed the King down. Mazzy got low life but the Crypt King died first. We also explored all the Grarveyard lower levels, all very easy for us. We had Wellaen's teddy bear but he wasn't around so we rested. We handed the bear to him but then noticed Jaheira was missing. Some old man gave us a note from her saying she was at Harper Hold again.

So we chased after her. When we entered the hold were only 3 Harpers, they had no chance in part thanks to Bipp's backstab. We had Jaheira re-join the party and when we went downstairs a more impressive group of Harpers were set to battle us. The party cast horror, hold persons and otherwise meleed the enemies and we were victorious:
Posted Image

Next we did the bridge area quests such as the warehouse fight, solved the skinner murder, found the man in red and disrupted his gang, destroyed the fallen paladins, with no problems at all.

For Captain Dennis this was our opening battle and buffs:
Posted Image

At the end of the Captain Dennis battle I couldn't believe the hit that Bipp got with his sling. If he does this against dragons they will be a piece of cake!
Posted Image

Finally we battled the Elemental Lich. Since this was a no reload we didn't charge, but rather via Monster Summoning wand we put some summons near the lich spawn point. Then Minsc gulped a haste potion and ran back to party and triggered the dialog. Then we sent a few summons in maybe 3-4 more times and at the end our fire elemental had killed the lich. Did take some damage from the Efreeti but we did handle it OK.
Posted Image

We defeated the Shade Lich in the sewers the same way. And in fact after defeating the shade lich, we rescued a Bard from Mekrath. We then returned to the Five Flagons and that's where the party will be when the adventure continues....

Edited by corey_russell, 26 July 2010 - 07:14 AM.

polytope

polytope
  • Members
  • 342 posts
Although my PC hadn't died, I restarted with a new F/M/C named Ailsa (I'm a chronic restarter).

Stats 18/78, 18, 17, 12, 18, 10, alignment TN, her initial proficiences are 2 in mace, 1 in in sling, 2 in two weapon fighting. At level 6 and 9 next proficiences go to flails.

Played through the version of Irenicus dungeon with goblins instead of all the extra dueregar, I think I prefer goblins because they sometimes have scrolls - in this case I found scroll of mislead and fireshield (not bad). Completed Copper Coronet and Lilarcor quests while still solo. Rested and prepared +3 maces with the enchant weapon spell, then joined Korgan and Yoshimo to get Korgan's book (too many traps to do this quest without a thief). Pai'Na had the doomplate as a randomized item, which helps Korgan tank the undead here. Also got pale green Ioun stone and Namarra.

Got ambushed on the way back, but an enraged Korgan shrugs off the priest's domination spell and the mage casting Emotion (good thing I had Korgan actually, as I need one more priest level for Chaotic Commands). Korgan leaves the party after retrieving his book and I go to the docks to complete renfield/Harper quests.

While dealing with Prebek I foolishly cast magic in the streets for the second time without a licence and Cowled wizards show up. I cast sanctuary, but one of them fires her remove magic sequencer at me, I run further away and drink an invisibility potion. One of the enforcers dimension doors after me and summons a cornugon, who teleports on top of me (demons ofc not fooled by invisibility). Although I still have an enchanted mace, I don't fancy my chances against him so run for the district exit (removing Yoshimo from my party as he's trapped behind the wizards).

I must say, I'm very impressed by the scripts for the improved mages and their summons.

Instead I recruit Jan (and while I'm in the government district I also rescue Viccy and pay for my magic licence, yeah, I'm a wimp) and go to the bridge area where we take care of Rejiek, fallen paladins, and Tirdir's kidnappers, no trouble with these quests which get Jan and myself both a couple of levels.

Next I set off for temple district and my stronghold quest. Found the Gesen bow shaft on a rakshasa here and joined with Keldorn. My beholder tactic (as before) is for Jan with minor spell turning to attract their dreaded anti-magic ray, which gives Keldorn and I one round to kill the beholder before he uses it again. This works fine for solo beholders, but I don't know what we will do when they are accompanied by other enemies (I chose SCS options to move the cloak of mirroring and remove the shield of Balduran; spell shield is not an option with spell revisions).

Jan dies while fighting the blind priests due to me forgetting that SR flamestrike is an area-of-effect spell, thus not blocked by spell turning. However Jan was the only casualty for this quest. In the lair we find some minor treasures, but importantly the wave shaft and hammer of thunderbolts.

After raising Jan I splurge on some potions of magic shielding from Roger the fence and visit the cutpurse in the bridge district. Keldorn doesn't approve, but this halfling has really good scrolls for sale such as PfMW, Improved Haste and minor sequencer.

Next we go to meet the bandit party in the sewers, I was a little paranoid about this encounter because I know Gaius is a high level mage and may summon glabrezus if given a chance (worse than cornugons), note that my portrait is totally covered in protection icons. However, a quick cast of true sight, debuff spells from Jan and myself and a critical hit from Keldorn and Gaius was no more. The rest of the bandits were not too difficult. I'm not sure who summoned those skeleton warriors, or how they got stuck in the web.

These bandits have good randomized items: cloak of the sewers, ring of human influence, mauler's arm mace and the sleeper morningstar. At last I have some permanent magical weapons, which will do fine until I get the flail of ages.

Visit Mekrath and accept his quest, Haer'Daelis is freed and leaves for the playhouse... haven't decided if I want to recruit him yet, or for that matter if Keldorn should stay in our party (I feel guilty about keeping him away from his wife and daughters).

Ailsa currently is fighter 9/mage 11/cleric 9, Jain is Illusionist 10/thief 11, Keldorn a level 10 inquisitor.

Bhaal Sergio

Bhaal Sergio
  • Members
  • 22 posts

wise grimwald wrote...

Dante2377 wrote...

wise grimwald wrote...

I have Anomen in the party. A fighter/cleric. Keldorn is no longer in my party as he was needed at home.
Currently, I have Radiant, Jahiera, Anomen, Saerileth, Mazzy and Nalia. It seems reasonably balanced.
I suspect tht Saerileth might object to lies. She has VERY high moral standards.

Perhaps of more note is the fact that Radiant is an undead hunter (no level drain) and he is the only one other than Mazzy who can use Azuredge. (Saerileth cannot use ranged weapons) Mazzy has NO proficiency points in axes.

Cavaliers can use throwing axes, unless you've got some mod that changes how they are flagged.

Cavaliers might be able to use throwing axes, but Saerileth cannot. Apparently Tyr doesn't like ranged weapons of ANY kind. If you try to equip it, she protests and it ends up in a backpack. I think it's hers.

Radiant has now come to what I think is the D' Arnise mod quest, killing Isnea. He had the option of kissing Nalia, presumably starting a romance, but I can well imagine what Saerileth's reaction would be!!

Hell hath no fury etc. !!
The battles werer actually a bit tame.
It's obviously time to fight something a bit more difficult, such as Firkraag.
Might help a certain bard first however.

Here are the links to the screenshots that I have taken to date:

A test to see if they work.

Posted Image

Well that worked Posted Image

Now all I've got to do is see how to do it as links, as not everyone will want to wade through my screenshots.

did you hack these stats? :o
Or did you roll them?
These are godly :o

Edited by Bhaal Sergio, 26 July 2010 - 01:58 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
There are STR, DEX, CON, INT and WIS tomes in BG 1. But even so that means he had 5 18s to start which is still pretty amazing.

Bhaal Sergio

Bhaal Sergio
  • Members
  • 22 posts

corey_russell wrote...

There are STR, DEX, CON, INT and WIS tomes in BG 1. But even so that means he had 5 18s to start which is still pretty amazing.

going to use frabjous reroller to get these stats
  • Grimwald the Wise likes this