Baldur's Gate 1 No-Reload Challenge

• Please log in to reply
16394 replies to this topic

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Entering the no-reload challenge..
I finished beating Dragon Age Origins. It wasn't that much of an achievement though, as when I got to the Alienage warehouse fight, took dozen reloads -- I got tired of seeing the same battles over and over, so just played on easy rest of the game.

Therefore, coming back to No-reloads. Entering the challenge with a Fighter/Mage. Was a bit tired of the standard NPCs so made a 4 man party via Multi-player. Party consists of a Paladin, Cleric, Fighter/thief and of course Trellan the fighter mage.

Here is my setup:
Baldur's Gate I
Tales of the Sword Coast
Official Tales of the Sword Coast
"gore" on

The party party has cleared the areas on the road from  Candlekeep to Nashkel and the surface area of Nashkel Mines, including Greywolf.

I intend to keep it a 4 man party unless someone gets chunked. If that happens wlll decide what I will do then. For stats/pictures being used see the following:

Joshua:
Posted Image

Hanna:
Posted Image

Dogdancing:
Posted Image

Trellan:
Posted Image

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
A new entry to the challenge due to Radiant's sad demise.
Posted Image

Edited by wise grimwald, 10 August 2010 - 06:59 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Good luck with your new entry Wise. What happened to Radiant? I thought he was doing so well?

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
Got imprisonned by a beholder.

I thought the shield of cheese was sufficient defence against them. I thought wrong.
In future my character will not go up front against Beholders OR Illithids

Edited by wise grimwald, 10 August 2010 - 07:31 PM.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
I gave you some info on that see my post in the BG 2 no-reload thread.

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
Thanks for telling me. I won't be back there much for a while. Posted Image

Edited by wise grimwald, 10 August 2010 - 10:07 PM.

Ed boy

Ed boy
  • Members
  • 20 posts
I'll be starting a no-reload myself. Difficulty will be insane, and it will be (mostly) solo. The following mods will be used in the BG1 half of the game:

-Tutu
-G3 fixpack&tweakpack
-Sword and fist
-Rogue rebalancing
-Item randomizer
-Unfinished business
-Herbs and potions
-Spawn randomizer
-Sword coast stratagems
So let us begin the tale of Dorgan, child of Bhaal!

Posted Image

Gorion, ever the fool, has now
brought upon him something that even Tethtoril cannot save him from. He has urged me to buy what belongings I  need and leave with him, giving me a meager  hundred and fifty gold coins to buy what I need. The old fool is a skilled mage, and I have little choice but to go with him. Since I will be leaving these dusty halls (and I have no intention of returning), I shall take what I can before I leave.

The first step was looting those staying in the inn. Candlekeep attracts many a scholar, and many a fool who
wishes to be a scholar. In either case, they must have sufficient coin to pay the entrance fee. Most were asleep and unaware that of me, but there was once individual who awake. The presence of the guards would make my activities a lot harder, so I killed him. The body will not be discovered until after I have left this place behind me.

Posted Image

No doubt Winthrop suspected the origin of some of the goods, but he did not complain, especially when I showed him the star sapphire that I had acquired. He tried to trick me into accepting a pittance, but I earned over a  thousand coins from that transaction.

Posted Image

Once I had bought everything I would need to defend myself from whatever would come my way, I made my way to
Gorion. Not before being interrupted, though…

Posted Image

After sending her on her way, I spoke with my foster father, Gorion. He looked even more troubled than usual – no doubt he had been unable to cope with whatever trouble had had gotten himself into. As we prepared to leave, he insisted that I make my way to the friendly arm inn, to meet two of his acquaintances. I had no intention of doing so, of course.

As we left, we encountered an unexpected group…

Posted Image

Ever pathetic, ever the fool, Gorion fell. The might of the armoured figure struck him down, ripping through his defences. I had no intention of joining him, and had hidden from the fight. Though they searched for hours, they could not find me, and I made it to dawn safely. Imoen had followed me, and had tried to join me in my travels. I humoured her briefly, before taking her possessions and leaving her to fend for herself in the wilderness. I had other business to attend to.

During the night there had been a heavy shower. The scene of the fight had been washed clean of blood, but the
bodies remained. Gorion had a scroll on him that had managed to remain legible. Its contents were interesting – it seems that many of Gorion’s plans were not his own – it does not surprise me. The true mastermind behind this left a signature, but I could not read it – there was only an ‘E’ that I could make out.

I did have a destination, though – Beregost. Beregost was south-west of my current position, and it held many attractions, the primary one being gold. The path would take me east, then south.

After several hour’s travel, I met several people on the way. They took a varying level of interest in me, and some left without their original possessions, though none appeared to be the bandits I have been hearing rumors about. Wolves, however, were in abundance, but they fell under my arrows. There was one encounter, however, that was rather significant.

An ogre.

Ogres are nothing if not large and stupid. This can work in their favor – It can be a while before they realize that they’re dead. In this situation, however, it did not – It did nothing but lumber slowly toward it while I peppered it with arrows and charges from Imoen’s wand. Eventually it fell, and revealed two belts, both valuable-looking. I decided to hang onto them.

Edited by Ed boy, 12 August 2010 - 08:52 AM.

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts
Lacaille 8760 reached the Friendly Arms and Tarnesh died. Lacaille didn't fight well however and had to use potions.
Anyone know why I gave him that name? Posted Image

Edited by wise grimwald, 12 August 2010 - 05:09 PM.

Ed boy

Ed boy
  • Members
  • 20 posts
Bandits did eventually make an appearance in my travels. A party of three I met, and a party of three I killed. They were weak, very weak – no doubt inexperienced youths looking for an easy way to earn gold. Winthrop had mentioned that the fist will pay handsomely for bandit scalps, though, so I scalped the bodies and continued on my way.

The remains of two caravans, I encountered, though, and from what I could tell, the guards had been plenty and mighty. These bandits must indeed be dangerous.

Beregost came. Although I had not been here before, I had studied many maps back at Candlekeep, and with little difficulty, I managed to find the thunder hammer smithy. It was the middle of the night however, and the shop was closed, but that only provided me with an opportunity to shop with some extra discount. Unfortunately, I did not find anything of particular value, so I though it best to retire for the night at an inn.

Winthrop may not have been the most wise of people, but he certainly had his contacts, and the innkeeper of the red sheaf of one of these. I could do with some information, and I was told that this man was very good on that front. I entered the establishment, and was immediately met by a rowdy-looking dwarf.

I hurried out into the rain, and hid behind some barrels. The dwarf followed me out, but gave up and returned back to the inn. He had known that I would be there, and he knew that I would still want to go in there… Something was suspicious. Instead, however, I opted to stay in Feldepost’s. Although it took some time to dissuade a drunk fellow from attacking, it was worth it, as I managed to lay my hands on a magical helmet that protects me from magical charms and enticements.

In the morning, I made a stop by the thunder hammer smithy. I bought an ammo belt to store all my arrows, There was a very nice-looking set of thieves’ tools, but they were too expensive – I shall return at a later date. As I made my purchases, I could tell that they were obviously not very pleased with my presence – evidently I shall have to find some way to make them appreciate my presence.

There was a man named Bassilus to the south-west that was the subject of much discussion. Evidently the local townsfolk do not hold much appreciation for the undead – no matter. The bounty on his head is significant, too, and it will be able to buy me much gold. With a new destination, I set off.

I did not get long before I ran into a Drow. She came running towards me, fleeing from a flaming fist. He saw me with her, and attacked. I had no choice but to respond in kind, and before long, a dead flaming fist lay before me.

Posted Image

This was not good: in anyone found out about this, it could be disastrous. The drow would not be any trouble – whatever she said would be dismissed as lies – but I would have to distance myself from this encounter as much as possible. I departed.

Posted Image

Straight into a group of hobgoblins.

This was a proper bandit group: no caravan could withstand a horde of hobgoblins. However, I had some advantages that no caravans had – I could run, and I could hide. Through a combination of these methods, I picked off the hobgoblins one by one.

Some way south from Beregost, I was attacked by a pair of ogrillons. Though their own possessions were not worth much, they were carrying something else. A letter, addressed to a house in Beregost. From what I could tell of the contents, it was from a wealthy man to his wife, and judging from the date, she has not had any news from him in some time. A wealthy man means a wealthy wife, and a wife without ant news means a substantial reward for bringing this to her. I headed back to beregost.

A magical ring I received – more than worth the effort. I stopped off at the jovial juggler for a quick drink before heading to Bassilus, and some more rumors reached my ear. A certain gnome had lost a magical cloak in Cloakwood, and an old school of magic to the east – and old schools of magic mean treasure in my book.

Returning to the trail, I passed by a submerged house and found something very bad. Another group of hobgoblins, but this time with bows. Although most of their arrows glanced off my plate, I was lucky. I was not so lucky with my next attackers: instead of some weak hobgoblins, they were ghasts. Though ghasts can be deadly foes, they are slow-moving, and they did not retain enough intelligence to do anything but shamble towards me until they were physically unable to continue.

After many hours of traveling, many dead hobgoblins and many dead gibberlings, I spotted a creature that I had not seen thus far – a skeleton. This must be because of bassilus. A small child nearby told me about Bassilus – mad, he was, and had raised these skeletons in his madness. I started to pick them off.

Posted Image

However, there were more of them than I had initially thought, and my arrows proved to be rather ineffective – I left. Bassilus would be dealt with later. I retreated to Beregost.

I decided to pay the dwarf in the red sheaf another visit. No doubt he would still be waiting for me, but now I was expecting him. His axe bit deep, but my swords bit deeper. Eventually, bloody and bruised, I emerged victorious. My wounds were deep, by wand was expended, but the damn dwarf was dead.

Posted Image

The barkeeper proved to be as good a resource as Winthrop had promised me. Of the two magical belts, one was revealed to be a cursed belt of gender exchange, yet the innkeeper gave me a hundred gold for it – what he plans, I don’t want to know. The other one appears to have no function, but it belongs to a rich halving former adventurer, who is currently staying at the friendly arm inn. Rich former adventurers give good rewards for their personal items, so that’s where I headed to, after stopping by the temple complex and getting healed.

The journey to the friendly arm inn was mostly uneventful, but as I tried to enter, I was waylaid by a mage.

Posted Image

Although he was a user of the magical arts, he was not a very skilled user, and he soon fell.

Unshey was found upstairs, in her room. I only got seventy gold for my trouble, but in another room, I got my hands on something else. Something much greater than a mere seventy gold.

Posted Image

I stayed the night at the inn, and then headed to Beregost. I had been sent to clear out a house of spiders, but I intended to clear it out of more than that. Besides, I had been offered a large reward for my work.

Posted Image

These were bigger spiders than I had been expecting.

If I had stayed inside, no doubt I would have fallen to them. However, by luring them outside, I took them out of their element. One by one they fell. I returned the possessions to Landrin, and received a reward – not a large one, but not a small one either. I did hear some new rumors, though – there was a carnival in Nashkel. No doubt it would be full of rich nobles who would be too preoccupied to hold onto their gold. I set off for Nashkel.

When I set off, the path was littered with bandits. When I finished, the path was littered with bodies. One by one I had murdered them, leaving their bodies to rot in the sun, only fit for carrion. Each kill I relished, each body brought me joy.

When I arrived in Nashkel, I was looking forward to a visit to the temple and a night in the inn. Instead, I was assaulted by amnish soldiers.

Posted Image

They fought with discipline and skill, forcing me to flee and hide, lest they slay me. It was under this cover of stealth that I made my way to the local temple, for healing. As I did so, I ran into the mayor. Although he did not like me, he was prepared to pay very handsomely for my help in clearing out the mines. As a mayor, he can surely offer a much better reward than what I have been getting recently.

In the temple, I paid for my healing, but also had to part with several hundred gold. Surely this will raise my name – I have learned the value of having a good reputation. Indeed, the finest thieves are the ones that are not even known as thieves. I will take special care in the future to appear to be an upstanding member of society.

At the inn, there was another bounty hunter after me. They are working beneath the law, that is for sure. The most likely suspect is the armored figure that slew Gorion. Evidently, I have been caught up in the problems that led to his death. Damn the fool.

Posted Image

As I set off for the mines, I ran into a large man, who appeared to organize various forms of bounty. He misidentified me as one greywolf, and offered me two hundred coins. I was sorely tempted to take them, but I knew that I would be operating out of here for a while, and this was one bridge I could not afford to burn. He told me a tale of an artist turned gem thief, who had taken some emeralds and had run south. South was where I was going: I would have to look out for him.

By the banks of the river, I found someone who claimed to have stolen some herbs and poisons before he died. Poisons are always useful to one such as me, so I followed his tracks, staying wary of any dangers. I was very surprised to find a herbalist guarded by a rock golem. Her wares were interesting and she could even brew the herbs I had into new potions. My money was rather short after my stay at the temple, so I had to leave, but I did promise to come back when I was richer.

Posted Image

Nearby the mines, I found the man I was looking for. He was indeed a skilled artist: the very rock itself had been carved into the shape of a female face. He was still working furiously. I knew he had the emeralds, but I did not know whether they were on him or secreted somewhere else, so I humored him and promised to stand guard. As I did so, we were joined by none other than greywolf. Although he was a large fellow, I valued those emeralds highly, so I refused to let greywolf kill him. In the end, it came to blows.

Posted Image

He certainly lived up to his reputation as a fearsome bounty hunter. Our fight was a long and bloody one, and his magical sword bit deep. However, my blows continued regardless and he fell eventually. Prism died shortly afterwards, but from exhaustion rather than dismemberment. A quick search of his body revealed the emeralds. Of course, Oublek would not see them – three hundred gold, he offered me, whereas I knew I could get over a thousand elsewhere.

Edited by Ed boy, 12 August 2010 - 09:18 PM.

Nukenin

Nukenin
  • Members
  • 571 posts

wise grimwald wrote...

Lacaille 8760 reached the Friendly Arms and Tarnesh died. Lacaille didn't fight well however and had to use potions.
Anyone know why I gave him that name? [smilie]http://social.bioware.com/images/forum/emoticons/lol.png[/smilie] 

He's a red dwarf, isn't he?  :innocent:  (While I suspected a star, I will confess to Googling for confirmation.)

Edited by Nukenin, 12 August 2010 - 11:35 PM.

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Nukenin wrote...

wise grimwald wrote...

Anyone know why I gave him that name? Posted Image 

He's a red dwarf, isn't he?  :innocent:  (While I suspected a star, I will confess to Googling for confirmation.)

He is indeed.Posted Image
It is actually the brightest red dwarf as seen from the earth, so that could account for his high intelligence.Posted Image

Edited by wise grimwald, 13 August 2010 - 10:27 AM.

Son of Imoen

Son of Imoen
  • Members
  • 521 posts
Ed Boy: great storytelling, fun to read!

By the way, what mod does install the herbalist you told about?

wise grimwald

wise grimwald
  • Members
  • 327 posts

Son of Imoen wrote...

Ed Boy: great storytelling, fun to read!

By the way, what mod does install the herbalist you told about?

It's the herbs and potions mod. Rather expensive potins, but when you have loads-a-money at the end, very useful.

Lacaille joined up with Canderous and Osprey before heading south.

Edited by wise grimwald, 13 August 2010 - 08:56 PM.

Ed boy

Ed boy
  • Members
  • 20 posts
I'm afraid that my character (Dorgan) died after encoutnering getting poisoned in a fight with some spiders. I'll probably start a new no-reload once I'm finished with this character.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
With the demise of Hoodie I've had enough of monks for a while and starting a new challenge with St Kit - a change for me as I've never tried a Kensai before.  18/58 str, 17 wis, 3 cha, others 18.  Two points each in axe and single weapon.

To get a different flavour I've also loaded up a range of modules:
- Tutu
- Grey Clan
- BG Mini-quests and encounters
- Lure of the sirines
- Stone of Akovar
- BG1 NPC project
- Drizzt saga
- sword coast strategies
- herbs & potions
- rogue rebalancing

In Candlekeep noticed one new encounter with Linda - a quick thinking nobleman's daughter who swings a mean sword.  Then on into the big wide world.  Soon noticed that bears move rather more quickly now, but they are still walking experience if you're careful.  Conversely the wolves seem no faster than a pc, which is useful for a starting character.  Recruited Xzar and Montaron to get the protection of numbers.  I had thoughtfully brought along missile weapons for them so had no trouble clearing the remainder of the area - given that encounters may have changed I will probably vacuum the map fairly intensively.

On to the next area and the first encounter with ranged enemies.  I had already noticed the effect of SCS in making all enemies attack at once, so missiles look like they might be a pain.  Tried to do a party hit, run and hit again routine, but ran too far and Imoen took a nasy blow from a gibberling.  Fortunately all but one bandit was dead by then and he soon followed.  Noticed Eldoth hanging round after the battle and decided to recruit him - I think for the first time ever.  Then headed on to the Friendly Arm to get a complete party before tangling with any more bandits. 

It was good to see the magic ring was still buried in the ground where I had left it in a previous life.  When approaching the inn I was hailed and immediatly attacked, but had read in the SCS readme that this was likely and was not surprised.  Montaron missed his backstab, but Tarnesh still went down before causing any damage.  In the inn recruited Jaheira, though didn't have the money to spare to see what asking Sam to spread the word what do to my reputation.  Bentley seemed to have no interest in commerce, although I'm not sure if that's the result of the dislike he took to Eldoth.  A group of kobolds mainly struggled in an entangle before the party came across some bandits looting a caravan.  The bandits went down quickly, but I had no luck against their leader while doing hit and run.  Tried a number of times to hide in shadows, but failed and eventually Jaheira took up a frontal assault.  Despite being under attack the bandit kept shooting arrows and Imoen kicked the bucket.

After a trip back to the Friendly Arm to find a Friendly priest it was off to Beregost.  First stop was the Feldepost Inn where I tried to be friendly to Marl, but he didn't appreciate Montaron's tone and attacked.  Unlike the vanilla game his sidekick also attacked, so I was rather put out when the game charged a reputation penalty for killing him.  Marl went down under repeated backstabs and the experience gained gave St Kit his first level.  As it's a no reload I'll let him maximise HP.  Upstairs decided I needed a new cloak to make up for my diminished reputation.  In order to maximise the chances of success the party surrounded Algernon and Imoen, Eldoth and Montaron all had a go.  Interestingly 2 of them succeeded and I'm now the proud possessor of 2 charisma cloaks.  A bit of cheese I haven't come across before - wonder if it works on others?  The rogue rebalancing let me talk my way out of the failure so didn't even leave any enemies behind.

A trip down the road to say hello and goodbye to some ogrillons and then swap a message for a ring.  Then left Beregost for now - I'm a bit concerned there may be other new encounters that could be better met by a higher level party.  A cheeky guard on the road south provided Montaron with some new armour (he will probably reserve thieving skills for rare occasions).  Also met Viconia in the area.  Tried to recruit her for sentimental reasons (having just been playing BG2 with her in the party), but wasn't sure whether killing the guard would affect reputation so charmed him and danced him round while Viconia whacked him with her mace.  Unfortunately she took ages doing it and he eventually got a single chop in on her and made her hostile.  I thought it would be nice to carry the guard round with me, but the autopause treated him as still hostile and I walked right into a group of hobgoblins as a result - fortunately without fatalities.  St Kit ran out of throwing axes - they don't last long and popped back to Beregost before continuing down the road towards Nashkel.

Ed boy

Ed boy
  • Members
  • 20 posts
I've decided to have another crack at a no-reloads. The mods are the same as before, but I have it on core difficulty instead of insane.

Posted Image

Today, I am leaving the halls of Candlekeep behind. Many years I have lived here, but my time is coming to an end. My foster father, Gorion, is leaving, insisting that I go with him. I would not normally choose to do so, but it is because of his presence that I have lived here so far, and without it I will no longer be able to stay. He has given me seventy coins, and told me to buy whatever I need from Winthrop. Seventy coins is not enough, so I had to liberate a few nobles currently staying of their possessions. Most notable was a star sapphire, which Winthrop was good enough to give me one thousand gold for – a sum much more to my liking.

Posted Image

We did not go far before we were waylaid by a group. Gorion fought, and Gorion fell. He magics did little but distract the figures so I could run and hide. He left me with only a destination – the friendly arm inn. Imoen had seen the slaughter and she had followed me. She would be a useful companion, but only in the short term. Growing up together, she had always seen through my tricks and deceptions, and I could do without that interference.

The path to the friendly arm inn was long but uneventful. We encountered a few people on our way, who ranged from those who refused to make eye contact to those who tried to analyse our state of mind. Certainly none of them were the bandits that I had been hearing about.

It was dark by the time we arrived at the FAI, and I was eager to pay for a room and sleep. However, as we approached the keep, an unknown figure was waiting for us.

Posted Image

He may have noticed the face of Imeon, but he did not notice me sneaking up behind him. I made sure he noticed the longsword to the back, though. He managed to splutter out a spell that caused Imeon to flee in horror before I finished him.

Khalid and Jaheria were waiting for us inside. They wished to join me on my travels, in Gorion’s honour. They were no doubt capable warriors, but I prefer to work alone. I convinced them to stay and wait until I would need them. Afterwards, I confronted Imoen. By reminding her how easily she fell under the influence of the mage, I managed to convince her that she was a liability, and that she should stay here, under the protection of Khalid and Jaheria.

I sat in my room and studied my map. To the north lay Baldur’s Gate, and Ulgoth’s Beard. To the south lay Beregost and Nashkel. I would make my mark upon the realm, but people remember their heroes more than their villains. I would first capture their hearts, earn their adulation. I would start with the areas immediately nearby the inn, and work my way outwards, helping those that would glorify me, and slaying those that would not.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
The area north of Nashkel had a few more bandits, who again did a bit of damage.  Xzar has managed to learn a sleep spell so may try that out in future - normally my magicians carry virtually all magic missiles for their flexibility in attacking magic-users.  Incidentally out of 14 scrolls so far Xzar has learnt 3.  Either he's had really bad luck with his 75% chance of learning or something in the mods has affected this.  Met a love-sick orc, but he didn't have much to say.  Also found Shar-teel and this time did recruit her - used my other characters to block her path to make this easy.  Bumped Imoen without the intention to dismiss her permanently, but she took the huff about the party's drift to evil and stormed off.  Although I virtually always play good St Kit is neutral so perhaps it is a good time to drift down the sinister path.  With the new party continued exploring the area and came across two vampiric wolves.  Tried to run away and successfully shook one off, but the other kept coming.  Charmed some hobgoblins and used those as the front line, while attacking with a few ice arrows and scrolls found.  Successfully managed the kill with the last thing the party had that could do any damage.  The experience was enough to give St Kit his 3rd level - improved his axe use.  Incidentally Shar-teel is shown in her weapon quick-slot as having a long sword +2, but this can't be activated and does not appear in her inventory.  Anyone know if there is a way to use this?

In Nashkel confonted Neira before meeting a little boy.  Until it was too late I didn't realise that there was a baby wyvern chasing him (hidden by a tree) and Xzar needed raising.  Down at the river I got Edwin to join the party in place of Montaron - though will bump Xzar with Montaron on returning from the gnoll stronghold.  With Edwin prompting me to action took the fast track west to the stronghold and carried out my bargain.  The fact that the enemies all come out to fight actually makes taking the stronghold even easier than usual.  Went north long enough to pick up some boots.  The rescued wanderer tried to fob me off with a measly 50 gold, but Eldoth pickpocketed them anyway.  On the way home an ogre mage ambushed the party.  The party stayed on the edge of the map ready to run if he let go of a lightning bolt or fireball, but nothing that bad came.  Edwin had to survive 2 magic missiles (potion in between) before the others managed to put him down.  The reward on his body was a Laerals tear necklace.  Back in Nashkel found Minsc bearing down on me like an out-of-control tank.  Unfortunately for him Boo now really does have a chance to go for his eyes.

Next stop was the mines.  Top two levels were straightforward, but the several big concentrations of kobolds on the third level was more of a challenge.  Had to go back home to rest twice before meeting the last collection of kobolds led by their chief.  I wasn't expecting his poison arrows and montaron was killed while a couple of others felt sick - in particular Shar-teel who was shot while already slept by the kobold shaman and woke up with 1 hit left.  Fortunately managed to chug a healing potion just before the poison kicked in again.  After yet another trip home to rest the end of level battle was a bit of an anti-climax.  Final act of the day was to go back to the area south of Nashkel to explore it properly; helping Rufie find his ickle doggie gave enough XP for St Kit to get up to level 4.

corey_russell

corey_russell
  • Members
  • 5,300 posts
Trellan the fighter/mage FINAL Update:

The party got to mostly level 6. This normally is just fine for Ankhegs. However, Trellan lost 2/3 his life from a single acid hit. He tried to use his Bhaal power heal and sent the cleric to heal him. Despite all that, the 2nd acid attack from the ankheg killed him. Run over.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Hard luck Corey. Obviously a bad night as St Kit also snuffed it. Unwisely decided to play a bit more before bed and took on the Xvart village. All well until I wanted to see what Borda had in stock. Charge after charge of sleep later and all characters were on the ground snoring. Regrettably Borda attacked St Kit first and I had the agony of watching and hoping against hope the others would wake up in time - they didn't!

Ed boy

Ed boy
  • Members
  • 20 posts
The first order of business was to go through the friendly arm inn. I received three requests: Clear a house in Beregost of spiders; retrieve a belt from an ogre to the south, and take a ring off some hobgoblins. All were simple tasks, far below my level of ability, but people can be very receptive to acts like these, and can be coerced into returning the favour.

The ring was the first task I completed: Just a stone’s throw from the walls, the hobgoblins soon fell under my arrows. I received no tangible treasure in return for this task, but I did liberate from a noble some very tangible treasure indeed.

Posted Image

To the north, I found a group of farmers complaining about a certain priestess who was causing them trouble.

Posted Image

The offer of magic items was not in keeping with their appearance as poor fishermen, but it was enough to intrigue me further. I headed north to find this priestess. I passed Wyrm’s crossing, and I found that the entire city of Baldur’s gate has been cut off – this does not bode well. A short distance north, I found who I was looking for.

I approached her from behind, my weapons ready. Before I killed her, though, she had something to say. It seems that the fishermen from before had angered the goddess, and she was punishing them for it. I had two options: either I could finish off the priestess, earn a magical object and annoy a goddess, or I could kill the fishermen, take the magical item from their dead body, and earn the favour of a goddess. It was not a hard choice.

I approached the fishermen unseen, and I struck unseen. They were weak and unarmed, like lambs to the slaughter. I took a magical flail from them, and the summoning bowl was returned to the priestess. She was in my debt now, and it is always useful to have someone indebted to you. I was getting weary, though – although I was operating out of the friendly arm inn, Ulgoth’s beard to the north was closer and easier to get to, so I headed further north. On the way, however, I encountered something unexpected.

Posted Image

Zombies. They were slow and stupid, though, and fell under my arrows. One of the farmers gave me a hundred and fifty gold for getting rid of them all – more than enough to replace the spent arrows. Ulgoth’s beard was nearby, though, so I headed there, rested and sold the flail, then headed back to the friendly arm inn.

The next day, I headed south. xvarts, gibberlings and wolves were all present. The ogre proved elusive, and only when I strayed far off the path did I see the ogre.

I had read about ogres, of course. They featured heavily in many of the books in candlekeep, and their descriptions were very graphic, but they do not do justice. Appreciating that something is twice your size is only really possible when you see it in the flesh, and I was certainly appreciating it. However, ogres are nothing if not stupid, and this one was no exception, lumbering towards me as it was struck with arrows.

It turned out to have two belts, one of which was magical. I was about to wear it, when my magic revealed that it was cursed. Returning to the friendly arm inn, I managed to sell it for a surprising price.

Beregost was my next destination. As a major population centre, I was certain that it would have lots to offer me. The first order of business was to make my way through the houses and inns, relieving the inhabitants of their valuables. A helmet that protects from charm was bought from Feldepost’s. Upstairs in Feldepost’s I managed to separate a wealthy merchant from has magical cloak. In the red sheaf, however, there was a surly dwarf waiting for me. I tried luring him out into the open, where I could deal with him more easily, but he would not do it. I would have to come back at a later date.

Instead, I decided to go to the west. I had heard rumours of a powerful mage living there, and powerful mages mean powerful magic. The mage did indeed offer magical power, but at a price. I purchased some scrolls, then set off west. I had heard of sirines living along the coast, and the pearls that they had – pearls fetch a fine price, and there were many scrolls I still wanted to buy.

The sirines fell, and provided me with a set of pearls. I scoured the nearby area, and I found that the magical cloak had an effect on some of the local wildlife. A carrion crawler started to accompany me, and together we dispatched many other beasts.

As I travelled, I came across a travelling fortune teller. She was telling my past, and did so with outstanding accuracy. She saw something, though. Something important in my past, something great and terrible. She would not tell, and got desperate when I pressed her for information.

She was dispatched, though not without difficulty.

I continued making my way along the coast, slaying sirines and collecting many pearly and poisonous arrows. I also discovered a cave along the coast, which was most notably home to a magical bastard sword, a magical tome and a set of armour fashioned from ankheg scales. I headed to Beregost immediately.

I took the opportunity to remove the dwarf from the red sheaf inn. The magical tome was one of hardiness and fortitude: the dwarf was no challenge to one of my power. Afterwards, I was walking the streets of Beregost, and I was intercepted by a bard.

Posted Image

Silke evidently had more money than she was offering me, though. I refused to work for her until she gave me what I was worth, and she got violent. She may have been more versed in the magical arts than me, but a quiver of arrows put an end to that. She had a magical hammer, a magical cloak and four hundred gold on her.

I continued my travels. Bandits and monsters fell to my bow, and I was rather surprised when, in the middle of my travels, I came across a dig site.

Posted Image

I was approached by an individual who offered me a not insignificant sum of gold in return for my assistance in removing the head of the dig, but I refused. I knew his type: he was on his way down, and he was trying to drag me down with him. I wanted nothing to do with him.

The dig continued, and eventually the main chamber was broken into. The diggers were taken by a madness, and I was forced to slay them all. The altar was the source of it – an idol of a dead god was there. I opted to take it with me. I left under the cover of stealth.

Posted Image

Short distance away, I found a priestess. She warned me of her brother nearby: He had apparently gone berserk and killed many, resulting in a price being put on his head. When I expressed interest in this price, she became hostile and I killed her. A short distance away, I found the man. He was not in his right mind, but I managed to convince him to come east with me – I much preferred this option to carrying a body all the way.

The temple was happy to take Brage in when I arrived, and they gave me a good reward for it. I prepared to spend the night at Nashkel, when I encountered a would-be assassin.

Posted Image

As I was in nashkel, I was approached by the mayor, who offered me an impressive reward for clearing out the mines to the south. I accepted his requests for help, but first I would head north. There was an item I had spotted as for sale up in Ulgoth’s beard, and I now had the funds to purchase it.

Posted Image

As I spend the night in Ulgoth’s beard, I had a dream. This was no ordinary dream: I could feel the boundaries of the reality and the power in my blood rushing through me. As I awoke, I managed to retain some of the power in the blood. I tried to summon it again, and I found my wounds healing before my eyes. This was very interesting indeed.

Once again, I headed south. This time, I went east of the path instead of west. I could feel my blood calling for me, calling me to murder those that I found there. Their deaths made me stronger, the carnage made me mighty. The slaughter would be glorious.

The magical cloak I brought with me was very useful. The woodland creatures fell under its spell, and served me, as is their place. Together we ploughed through the land, killing all who would oppose us. Most of those that opposed us were nothing special, until I ran into some wizards.

Posted Image

Wizards, all out alone in the middle of the wilderness? Their deaths would be especially good, and so I struck from the shadows, taking their lives and adding to my own. A distance further to the south, I discovered another dangerous foe: Basilisks. Fortunately, my hood protected me from their gaze, so I was able to slay them with ease.

My travels eventually took me to Gullykin. The Halfling settlements are quite unlike human ones, and I was quite unused to it. The mayor was easy enough to find: Gandolar Luckyfoot. Apparently there was a problem involving kobolds and the ruins. The promise of magic items at the end was what convinced me. I descended into the tunnels beneath the ruins of the bridge, and I found what was causing the problem:

http://img836.images...i/baldr017.png/

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Entering the challenge with Whirligig.  This is actually a replacement for another kensai whose save game fell victim to the Beregost bug after defeating the Ulcaster wolf (admittedly sacrificing the entire rest of the party to do it).  I'll have to be more careful about back-up saving this time. 

I'm thinking of dualling Whirligig to a druid in BG2, which is why the constitution score has had to be sacrificed.  Also for this reason ability points all gone into scimitars.

Mods loaded
- Tutu
- Grey Clan
- BG Mini-quests and encounters
- Lure of the sirines
- Stone of Akovar
- BG1 NPC project
- Drizzt saga
- sword coast strategies
- herbs & potions
- rogue rebalancing
  • ussnorway likes this

Ed boy

Ed boy
  • Members
  • 20 posts
You don't need to restart if you encounter the beregost bug - I've experienced it a few times. You can just use the Beregost bug fixer. As the rules say, you can reload if is due to a bug or glitch.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Cleaned up the first area without a scratch - dread wolves the main oppostion.  In the next area met Elminster for the first time.  He appeared to be accompanied by a horde of gibberlings.  By the time they had been dealt with the party was very low on ammunition and headed to the Friendly Arm for a resupply.  Tarnesh tried to intercept, but Imoen interrupted his spell with a magic missile and he didn't get a second chance.  Back down to the ogre's area to pick up his belt and have an encounter with the caravan bandits.  The leader's arrows caused problems last game, but this time Jaheira got an early critical and he went down shortly after.

On down to Beregost (remembering to do a back-up save first).  The first spider gives Whirligig a level.  He badly needs good rolls given his poor constitution and ... 5 HP.  Could be worse I suppose.  After disposing of Marl carried on down the road towards Nashkel.  An over-zealous soldier provided an armour upgrade before Viconia joined me in thanks for aiding her.  As Jaheira and Khalid disappeared into the sunset at this point the party reversed course briefly to pick up Eldoth before continuing down to Nashkel.  Picked up some herbs from a dead body there before going for a much-needed rest (after Viconia's command disposed of Neira).  While resting had a bad dream and acquired a strange draining ability (lucky actually - I prefer LMD for buffing hits up before a known combat but hadn't expected the dream to come so quickly; picking up Viconia had brought my rep down just enough).

Viconia was pleased to find some Ankheg armour, given she's not strong enough to wear plate.  Switched Xzar out for Edwin before heading for the mines to pick up my first magic weapon from Greywolf.  He should have been able to hunt one or two characters down, but made the mistake of taking his oil of speed after a potion of freedom.  Left rest of area for the time being and hot-footed towards the gnoll stronghold.  Once there Imoen wondered if there was any chance of pickpocketing the bridge guards for their guantlets.  Succeeded, but only a potion and had to get the guantlets the normal way.
  • corey_russell and ussnorway like this

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts

Ed boy wrote...

You don't need to restart if you encounter the beregost bug - I've experienced it a few times. You can just use the Beregost bug fixer. As the rules say, you can reload if is due to a bug or glitch.

Thanks for the pointer Ed boy.  Since the fix is described as created in 2007 t's obviously been a few years since I looked at the information available on this bug!  I think having got this far with the replacement I'll continue from where I am; also the previous Kensai version was suitable for dualling to a mage rather than a druid and I'm leaning towards the latter at the moment.

Grond0

Grond0
  • Members
  • 6,498 posts
Whirligig update.  Finished off the gnoll stronghold.  Only problem was game performance has suddenly become very slow and choppy.  My virus checker started an automatic scan during the game - hope that hasn't upset something.  Scanning the forums suggested that disabling hardware acceleration might help and that seems to improve it significantly {later did crash in Beregost again and used the fixer this time}.

Went north to see a man about a bear.  Tried to pickpocket him with 3 characters at once, but only 1 got boots this time.  The XP for that gave Whirligig L3; 9 hits this time - excellent.  Then back to Nashkel for a rest and to re-equip.  Imoen also started playing about and managed to create a useful manual of her own.  I spoke to Minsc expecting him to attack, but he didn't seem to blame us for Dynaheir's demise this time.  Headed back to the mine area intending just to clear the outside.  However, when an escaping gnome warned of dozens of kobolds I found that Eldoth had somehow wandered clear of the party and was right in the middle of them!  He becomes the first character to need a priest.  Leaving the mines for now decided to make the road up to Beregost safe.  In the area immediately north met an orc-like traveller who I thought was spoiling for a fight, but obliging him cost me reputation.  North again and found some nice soft boots for Montaron.  Then kept going north to the Friendly Arms to complete the spider quest and get some reputation back from Joia.  The party was unable to stay at the inn itself because Eldoth had annoyed the proprietor, so came back into Beregost.  Tried going for the charisma cloak and this time successfully duplicated the pickpocket.

To obtain a bit of money thought I would go and attack Bassilus.  The last time I did this he went down very quickly, but this time he kept taking potions of extra healing in between casting hold person spells that were very hard to interrupt.  At one point he had 4 characters held + Imoen dead of an unholy smite.  He killed two of the held ones, but then fortunately decided to try and use slay living and chased my last mobile character around for a while trying to get a touch until others freed themselves and finished him off.  With the funds I went to try and buy a sleep spell / wand from High Hedge.  I tried to kill the golems with backstabs, but both again were chugging extra-healing potions (golems drinking potionsPosted Image) which made it much more time consuming than I expected.  The second golem also showed good meta-gaming instincts by seeking out exactly where the rest of the party was on the edge of the board (and killing one of them) while he should have been chasing Imoen round the castle.  Eventually they went down, I did my shopping and everything's ready for a trip to the mines.
  • ussnorway likes this